Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who is this bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by steve_man, Sep 23, 2003.

1. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I remember watching the stanley clarke MIT specialon BET a few months ago. There was this one bassist in the bass orchestra (the orchestra had marcus miller, flea, stu hamm, bunny brunel, etc.). he was playing an alembic similar to stanley's. I think I remember his name being "alex ai" but I'm not sure and I can't find any music by him anywhere.

I think I used to know his name and that he played on a George Benson album but like I said I looked around (CD's, different searches, etc.) and couldn't find anything on him or him on anything.

anyone know who I'm talking about?

2. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    His name is Alex Al. There was an article in Bassplayer a few months back on his work.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Alex Al was playing a '75 Fender Jazz.

4. ..must have been borrowed, I was under the impression he played a Jazz bass. He's a great player.

5. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    does he play music for george benson?

also do you know where i could get my hands on BP article? or even any of his music (albums he was on, etc)

I really liked his style even much more than most bass players on that stanley clarke special

I appreciate all this information

thanks

6. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    Does anybody have an idea what albums he plays on?

7. Alex is a really good player and a seasoned studio musician... Here is a list of his work, really don't know if it's complete though :

Alex Al's Discography

8. Good night!!! Here's a guy I've never heard of, and he's played on a stunning list of albums.:(

9. Yeah, I didn't know Alex Al until a few months ago either... Seems like the guy is starting to have his name known though :)

10. Amazing.........I've never heard of him until now. What a list of work.

:eek: Treena

11. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I really loved his solo on the Stanley clarke special.

It was funny watching the guy behind him.

Thanks for the list of musicians he played with

I want to find music where he plays like he did for that solo. But there is one thing I'm wondering. That is where he is playing with such big names does he get a chance to show the full colour of his technique or does it all get covered up with the requirements of the artist he is playing for?

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    dude, buy any recording that alex al plays on. 109% groove!!!

;)