who know ? (barcus berry related)

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by hofner, Jan 6, 2006.

1. hofner

Dec 7, 2003

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have used one. Not a great sounding pickup IMO. There are several other bridge mounted pickups that will do a better job.
  3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I bought a used one to try on my EUB.
    Not bad, but somewhat boomy and uneven.
    As Adrian said, there are much better offerings available.
    Furthermore, the BB's price is ridiculous!
  4. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Someone I know uses or used one of those in a funk-improv band. You may be able to hear clips of his sound on their website: http://www.waterbabiesmusic.com/

I never played his bass, but it is very hot and he uses a 4x10 cab and I'm not sure what head. But, it's perfect for what he's doing, would not work for me. Don't know how much of that is bass, pickup, head, cabinet, pre-amp, but my impression is that it's a good, hot, electric sound if that's what you're going for.

If you are going for warmth or acoustic fidelity, I don't think it's going to work for you.
  5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Pick ups are like strings, somebody out there can make the unlikliest thing work. I heard Tony Scherr a couple of times (at VISIONES, sigh) with the Maria Schneider Big Band, he got a big, warm sound with the BB.
  6. Rufus Reid used to use one - dont' ask me what he uses at present.
  7. hofner

Dec 7, 2003
    thanks for theses comments ! its the second time that i see this pu here in France and was curious about it..Strange look, btw !
    yes price is pretty low, but if it sound too electric, its not my stuff.. other bad thing, the preamp, battery operated only...
    i asked the seller what sound he used to have and he replied that this pu will cover a wide range of styles depending the preamp settings...
    the thing is that this pu is never discussed when you look on urb's forums...so i thought it was a bit "outrun"...
  8. as I remember,Ron Carter used to endorse them as well.
  9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Hans Glawshnig, er, Glvhishnig, uh, Glovwishneg, ummmm - Hans the Austrian Dude uses one of these. Not the most natural sounding thing, but what he likes about it is that it's really percussive and works well on the latin gigs (i.e., David Sanchez) that he does.

Looked up his web site, although I'm not sure that he spells, or pronounces, the last name correctly, either: http://www.hansglawischnig.com/
  10. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    You can use another preamp if you wish.
    I was plugging it into my Tubeworks, but a Fishman or K&K would be ok too.
    It's just a regular piezo PU.
  11. Off topic I know but baterries seem to last forever in pre-amps and the less wire and transformers on the gig the better IMHO.