1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

who made this thing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hhirbe, Jul 13, 2012.

1. hhirbe

hhirbe

Mar 30, 2012
    Athens, Ohio
    So I picked up a p bass clone from my buddy who owns a music store here. It had been in the back room for a while, needed a nut, set up and strung, all of which I did and now I can't put the bass down. Name on the headstock reads "Saturday Night Special Professional Guitars", and that's it. Anybody have info on these? Web search yielded nothing. Not thinking I hit a gold mine or anything, just curious about this bass that feels so good in my hands...weird for sure...

2. hhirbe

hhirbe

Mar 30, 2012
    Athens, Ohio
    A few pictures of the elusive beast. Seems fairly well constructed, solid ash (?) body, rosewood fretboard over maple (?) neck, night neck joint with 4 bolt joining, 1 7/8 nut...

ForumRunner_20120713_115619.

ForumRunner_20120713_115940.

ForumRunner_20120713_120147.

3. Man- google fail: W/THAT name, you'll never get through all the Skynrd tabs, etc. Are you sure the nut is 1 7/8"? I find 1 3/4" to be huge and 1 5/8" a bit uncomfortable- never heard of a four-banger that hefty

4. hhirbe

hhirbe

Mar 30, 2012
    Athens, Ohio
    My mistake. Its 1 3/4.

5. hhirbe

hhirbe

Mar 30, 2012
    Athens, Ohio
    ...and yeah, nothing but skynard tabs, you tube videos, and cover band ads on the google search!

6. hhirbe

hhirbe

Mar 30, 2012
    Athens, Ohio
    No one?

7. hhirbe

hhirbe

Mar 30, 2012
    Athens, Ohio
    Really? That weirdo headstock don't mean a thing to anyone? Don't be shy, so you played a "Saturday Night Special" at a time in your life...haven't we all? Just feelin' it out.

8. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Why... I haven't seen THAT bass since... The accident...

NoSlapForYou and Haji like this.
  9. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    So I was able to find a couple of references to this guitar online... unfortunately, most of them were just people asking the same question as you and getting the same stumped look in return... I have however found references to this same model, as well as a fretless p-bass copy and a telecaster 6-string ripoff. So clearly whoever made it, made more than one of them. I'm afraid I can't tell you a whole lot more about it, other than there is one currently listed on Craigslist for $65, and the few comments I did find all said that it played well above it's weightclass for a cheap fender copy.

Sorry I couldn't find more.

10. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    It looks like a StewMac replacement neck that one one reshaped.

11. hhirbe

hhirbe

Mar 30, 2012
    Athens, Ohio
    Thanks for digging around everyone. Interesting connection, I live a block away from Stew-Mac, and we see all kinds of frankenbasses in this town courtesy of their employees...

12. Roythepainter

Roythepainter

Sep 21, 2014
    I just purchased a saturday night special, but its completely different bass. My Google search brought me here. I'll post pictures here later today once I've had a chance to clean her up, restring and take her for a spin.

13. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    The company is called "Professional Guitars".
    Saturday Night Special is a line of basses and guitars they produced.
    That's all the info there is really, seems like an SX style of company.
    A simple google search worked, and I had no Skynyrd tabs to root thru.

14. Roythepainter

Roythepainter

Sep 21, 2014
    The Richmond craigslist you posted was actually the one I just picked up. Kinda spooky

15. Roythepainter

Roythepainter

Sep 21, 2014
    Here's a pic of the 5 string mentioned in the add.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  16. Roythepainter

Roythepainter

Sep 21, 2014
    Saturday night special pics

Attached Files:

17. Roythepainter

Roythepainter

Sep 21, 2014
    Another

Attached Files: