Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who played bass on...?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by `ash, May 11, 2004.

1. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    does anyone know who played bass on Paul Simon's, Call Me Al.
    I haved loved the bass line for a long time and known nothing about it. It has a gorgeous tone and a great rhythm.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Bathiki Kumalo (hope I spelled it right).

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Don't forget about "Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes"...same player, same great tone/feel.
    You oughta probably pick up Graceland some day.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

And before you ask, that slap bass break in the middle of the song is played once forward then was actually played backwards (studio trick) so don't attempt to learn it! :D Unless you can play backwards.............. :p

5. That's Bakithi Kumalo, and that's one crazy bass line! :cool:

6. Doesnt Bakithi Kumalo play on Rythm of the Saints as well?

7. Alexvs

Alexvs

Oct 18, 2000
    Kalmar, Sweden
    Bakhiti plays on Rythm of the Saints, altough I'm not sure if he plays on all tracks.

Note that Bakhiti doesn't play on all songs on "Graceland". Check allmusic.com for more info (great site!).

8. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Seriously? No WONDER! That little break has haunted me for years. Absolutely terrifying. This relieves me of a great burden!

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I have a VHS tape of the Graceland concert in Africa. (very well done, it really helps you understand the social commentary of the album) Bakithi Kumalo does a smokin' solo during "Boy in the Bubble".

It's interesting to note some of the diting glitches during the performance. It will show Bakithi playing his fretless, cut away, and then show him playing a purple Fender P-bass, within the same song. For a while, I thought there were two bassists on stage.

10. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    +1