1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why a Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oobly, Nov 21, 2019.

1. kerrycares

kerrycares Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    I love the body , the tone .
    4, 5 & 6

2. Meaculpa

Meaculpa

May 18, 2019
    Because it rules

3. I bought a jazz bass cuz the Sires looked really interesting and the v7 seemed pretty cool at the time (no p7 yet, few m3 reviews).

Sire makes a great bass, but Im still not sold on jazzes. Every once in a while, it sounds perfect to me, but it usually doesnt last long.

To me, its like the worst parts of a p and a stingray put together.

4. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    Pretty simple for me,way back in1968 the only bass I owned was a $69.99 Japanese made Kingston,I figured I should probably upgrade to something better if I was to become a serious player so I bought my guitar player friends’ ‘65 L series Jazz Bass for $200.00. It became my standard to compare all other basses to over the years and for me,the “ sound in my head” was always that bass.It only was replaced as my #1 when I switched to 5 strings in ‘92 and still today my favorite 5 strings are Jazz Basses, the secret to the sound of a Jazz is to not simply “ dime” the volume controls which will kill the low end,experiment with different ratios of the controls.

12BitSlab and lowdownthump like this.
  5. JoshS

JoshS

Dec 30, 2018
    Colorado
    Wooten.

6. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    An active Jazz can cop a million tones. A wide open jazz is the sound in my head.

MonetBass and lowdownthump like this.
  7. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    None
    Mine's Verdine White.

JoshS likes this.
  8. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    None
    My Lakland j is all a j can be. Great tonal range and plenty of growl, slim, fast, narrow neck, comfortable body.

My actual Fender Jazz is an Aerodyne, which is a pj. Does the p thing well, can dial in some growl with the bridge pup, and the best neck I've ever played. Best of both worlds.

But I really consider the Lakie my j.

9. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    Why a Jazz bass?

1 1/2" nut.

10. jaco, geddy, I prefer the offset body look to that of the precision, I REALLY like block inlays on a jazz....

oh, and the sound is pretty good too LoL

11. Nice. Off the top of my head, all I could think of was Duff

dmt and JoshS like this.
  12. Shaggai

Shaggai

May 7, 2018
    New Jersey
    All about the comfort and playability of the neck for me. Never really considered myself a Fender man until I broke down a bought a Player Jazz, for historical purposes of course - one of the foundations of bass guitar. Decided to get a Vintera 60's and I feel a bass from that era would have been what I was looking for all along, the thin-C profile makes it even better for me than the modern C profile.

MonetBass likes this.
  13. Back in the day, studio guys had to have a "Fender Bass". For better or worse, we still live in a Fender world. People know the sound. "Plug n play".

A Jazz can approximate a Precision. A P can't do a J. If I could only have one bass, it would be a Fender Jazz.

14. Wolford

Wolford

Dec 18, 2013
    Its versatile and sexy. End thread.

BeefPie84 and Auspuff like this.
  15. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Rage/Audioslave were a huge influence when I started playing. I loved the sound on those albums, and nothing looks cooler than a maple neck with black blocks.

16. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I got one because I needed that jazz bass sound. Frankly, I've always disliked the body shape - I find it uncomfortable when sitting as it shifts the neck further away from my body, and it rarely sits properly on a stand. My personal preference leans toward a precision Bass sound... I do like Jazz necks though.

17. I happen to have an article with the same title as this thread: Why Jazz Bass? . Some key points are:
    • It supports minimalism because one can get by with a single bass
    • It provides a wide sonic versatility
    • It is simple enough to keep one playing instead of fiddling
    • It is a widely accepted industry standard

Wisebass, MonetBass, Oobly and 2 others like this.
  18. What I like: two pickups tone versatility, neck shape, what folks like Jaco and Benny Bunuel could do with it.
    What I don't: heavier and slightly more bulky than a P-bass, keeping it in vertical position without a stand, finding one with the right amount of warmth at the neck pickup is not so easy.

You have to own both models in my opinion.
    Very smart move --> build a bass with a P-bass body and a jazz bass neck!

dmt likes this.
  19. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Chillin' n Grillin' on the Best Coast
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Me too. P was too wide and thick.

I sold my Hofner Beatle bass with it's slim neck to buy the J. Super fast neck and very comfortable. Played with a pick and dead flats through tubes/JBLs to get the cleanest full tone. Both pickups wide open.

With all the echo chambers we played in, it was just right, especially for our Chicago/BS&T cover band.

Never looked back for decades.

Until about 20 years ago when I came across an active, 3-band eq '83 Ibanez Musician PJ. 1.6" nut, smooth neck, Dead ground wounds. With my HPF and the 3 band eq I can beat any rig into submission. :thumbsup:

It' s my only bass for now.

20. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I do not have a Jazz bass, nor do I desire one.
    I see why I'd get one however:
    Simply because it is a recognised format. No one will raise their eyebrows at seeing one.
    I think that is a benefit.