1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why aren't Dean basses more popular?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pica, Dec 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Merry Christmas Everybody. I was doing a search for Dean basses trying to learn more about them and my search came up with very few threads on them. Even the Dean Bass Clubs had very few members. Are people afraid of the name, or the weird (in my opinion) looking headstock. I know a couple professional bassists who use them for both recording and live shows so they can't be all that bad. Just curious what people's thoughts are.

BurnOut likes this.
  2. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    My first bass was a Dean Edge. It was a great beginner bass, but they don't offer much outside of that.

3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    NJ or Pa
    I've had 4 and plan on buying the Exotica in my avatar to replace my old one.
    Best acoustic bass made...sounds better than my two Jazz basses or my old P bass, Thunderbird, etc.

4. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    I have a Dean Sledgehammer 5. Snapshot_20151006.
    Which I like very much.
    But they don't seem to focus much development on their line of basses.

Dean is mostly a Metal guitar company.
    Much like ESP.
    So they make more money from their sales.

5. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    Like BC Rich, I think Dean still has a metal stigma attached to it even though they make plenty of non-metal looking instruments. I have a couple of Edges with "tasteful" translucent finishes that feel and sound similar to my Ibanez SR305 and 405. I really like the skinny necks. I also have a totally obnoxious neon pink Zone that looks fantastic on stage.

6. Even though I'm getting on I want a nuclear green one:D Had an Evo XM an it was a decent wee inexpensive bass.
    Wouldn't say no to a Motto either.

Dean N likes this.
  7. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    I have an American made Deceiver (six string) and it blows away every Les Paul I have compared it to.....

I on the other hand have never tried their basses....

but I have always said play what you like, and like what you play...so if dean does it for you buy one and rock it!

I'm not gonna name drop, but I have a couple of friends that are known touring players who both rock Hillsboro's and love them.....

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I recently bought a Dean Psycho Cabbi and I find the fit and finish to be excellent, and with a change of strings to my preferred flats, I like the sound. It's a well-made bass.

20150822_155352_zpsulprhdps.

lowplaces, B-Mac, Wicked G and 2 others like this.
  9. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    Not to hijack the thread, but.....SWEET Gretsch!

Pilgrim likes this.
  10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Not to hijack back...but thanks. That's a 5123, the version Gretsch sold on the QT through Guitar Center for a year before deciding to produce it in burgundy. I'm not generally an orange fan at all, but the Gretsch version is luscious. The photo doesn't do it justice.

This one is much more accurate (aside from the foam under the bridge - it was just out of the box when I took this):

P1010122.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  11. B-Mac

B-Mac Noob Supporting Member

They'd probably be more popular if the owners knew what TB DEAN Club to join! LOL!!!! :roflmao:

Might want to jump on board here:

Dean Club!!!

Been around longer, more members and more activity.

Lets consolidate.

12. Alpedhuez55

Alpedhuez55

Dec 9, 2017
    Taylors SC
    There is one of those pink ones for sale near me for $50. I have read some good things about that series too. I like the Metalman series too. I just don't know when I would play them. But could see myself buying one on an impluse purchase.

Old Blastard likes this.
  13. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Far West Texas
    I think a lot of people here actually don't think much of Dean because of the stigma of being a beginner bass by such series as the Metalman, Playmate and now Zone. And those are the ones you more commonly find at the stores. But if you step up to the next level of Dean basses you will find some really nice stuff for not a whole lot of cash.

I own some older Vendetta and Rhapsody Q4 basses as well as an Exotica and man do they sound sweet, especially the Rhapsody Q4's. I don't know why they only produced that series for such a short time. I have received some very good feedback on those basses throughout the years. I would also put the quality on those basses up there with the likes of LTD and Schecter Diamond Series.

And as many on here already know, the Exotica with the Aphex system is a top notch acoustic electric bass. IMHO.

Edit: Aww man. I just got suckered into my first zombie thread.:rollno:

B-Mac likes this.
  14. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

A guitarist in one of the bands I sub with owns one. It looks like a Les Paul and he swears it’s better than any Les Paul ever created, but it sounds like a paper bag full of dry cat feces. Of course, that could be the sweet Tech21 amp he uses, that he swears is better than any Marshall or Fender tube amp ever created. I’m not knocking Dean guitars, because I’m sure in the hands of anyone but him, it actually might sound like a 57 gold top, but he’s also the greatest guitar player he’s ever met, so...

Herrick, Maxdusty and Killed_by_Death like this.
  15. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    IMO the lower end Dean basses (the really cheap ones) are pretty bad out of the box compared to other similarly priced budget models by other manufacturers - I've had a few, yes even both the neon green and pink custom zone basses. Flashy and distinctive for sure but the sound was pretty bad, you would need to replace the pickups to make it decent enough. Generally, I feel that within the Dean budget line, their basses tend to be a little subpar but their guitars are pretty decent for the price.

Now, I've also tried a couple of the higher end Dean basses, (never owned one though) those are pretty nice and certainly playable. I agree with the post above, perhaps the reputation and quality of their budget line affects the sales of their higher quality instruments in a negative way The Entwistle bass Hybrid Pro was one I wanted.

16. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    NJ or Pa
    Mine looks good and sounds good. As for being popular, I'm glad not that many people have this one. 2cp81fn.
    (Headphones are suggested)

BurnOut, B-Mac and Pilgrim like this.
  17. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    NJ or Pa
    Wouldn't mind having this one, either.
    208fc3p.

JeffJ2112 and BurnOut like this.
  18. B-Mac

B-Mac Noob Supporting Member

I own 36 bases. Yes I have a problem. 10 of them are Deans and I love them all.

I recently bought a very lightly used Dean Hardtail Bass and I am just loving it! The one I have is from 2008. Brass nut, EMGHZ pups active preamp V/V/B/M/T Monolithic Bridge and neck thru. Sustain is awesome with the neck thru and it probably has the lowest action of any bass I own including my 2009 Ric 4003 or 2014 Fender American Deluxe P-Bass or my 2009 Gibson Les Paul Standard. I also really like my Edge Pro, which is similar to the Hardtail in some ways. I also have a Czech made Jeff Berlin Signature Burle Maple that is sweet. A lot of the upper end Dean's made in the 2000's are sweet and can be bought used for a real steal. I also have the Rhapsody 8-string that I play from time to time just to be amazed at how it sounds compared to a normal 4 string bass. Plus I have a few acoustic/electrics that I really enjoy. And yes, there are some Deans that I do not think are all that great, but that doesn't mean all DEANs are like that.

I am currently looking at a DEAN Vendetta Razor Wire in Gloss Amber that is an open box special and it is really nice...did I say I have a problem?

Here's some pix of most of my DEAN basses.

MY DEAN ABGs. MY DEAN ELECTRICS. ggvyejmns22azficoppp.
    HARDTAIL

There are a lot of head stock snobs who say a lot of things without ever actually checking things out. They like the four tried and true oldie-but-goodies and nothing else. Fender, Gibson, Rickenbacker and Gretsch. Throw Guild in there too for good measure. Heck, I have some of these brands too and truly enjoy them, but I have Deans and Ibanez and Tune and Schecter and even a Dillion. However, I do admit that nothing jumps out and grabs me from any of DEANs newer offerings....not like the basses in the catalogs from the 2000's. Maybe this has something to do with Elliot Dean Rubinson passing away and his son taking over? Maybe, maybe not, who knows?

So just keep this in mind when you ask for opinions. It is always best to try basses out before you poo-poo them. Make your own decision based on trying them out if you possibly can before you buy.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    mtdkingstonheir likes this.
  19. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I have an old Hollywood Z in Big Hair Zebra.
    WP_20161007_006.
    I like the Ashley Purdy model quite a bit.
    If I could get one for a deal, I will.
    dean-ashley-purdy-cadi-outlaw-315386.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    lowplaces likes this.