Why Basswood Hate?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JeffJ2112, Mar 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I use it to please the player playing it quite frankly, which coincidentally includes myself. Oddly enough, players really like a light bass that sounds great and balances well. And I wouldn't assume that I'm not aware of it's shortfalls. Other than pick-guard screws (which are not regularly removed) and strap-pegs (if done correctly with appropriately long screws, again - no issue), the only potential issue is the bridge anchors but like the pg and strap-peg screws, if they are installed correctly the first time - there is no future issues with screws magically working their way out of the wood. If I have any doubt at all, (at the bridge) I epoxy maple dowel plugs for the bridge mounting screws for a more dynamic connection. And finally, yes, it does dent and ding - I won't disagree. It is a potential finish shortfall and one either lives with a nice light bass they like playing regardless of it not being "perfect" - or not. Some enjoy fetishizing their perfect basses, but at the end of the day it's an instrument to be played, not put on a pedestal. I personally can't wait until my basses get a blemish so I can stop worrying about them being perfect. But as always... to each, their own.

2. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    I almost only ever buy used for this reason - we should start a new thread.

MovinTarget and JIO like this.
  3. Dadagoboi

Dadagoboi CATALDO BASSES Commercial User

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    CataldoBasses: Designer/Builder ThunderBuckerPickups:Consultant
    Spector uses it on $4K basses with bad burst poly finishes on quilt veneer. But it can be fixed...

A1dAzxc.jpg

I use it on quite a few builds, it holds screws just fine if you drill the correct size holes. Basswood is about the same density as light (genuine) Honduras Mahogany, a prized tonewood with similar screw holding properties and dent potential.

4. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    People play Musicman Bongos because they have to? Interesting.

5. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    :laugh: hah - I don't think that would be a great idea! It's one of those 'hot-button' topics likely to send AR types into orbit!

vvvmmm likes this.
  6. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    image.jpeg Here's 30 year old basswood in original condition. No dings or dents, and the bass has a nice deep punchy sound. It's also a light super balanced bass to play.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i love basswood. it's lightweight and it's called BASSwood. lightweight matters when you have rotator cuff or other injuries, even half a pound can be make or break.

8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    screws strip too easily with Basswood. Non-starter. My dad's alder bass can kick your dad's basswood bass any day and twice on Sunday!

9. TuneSalad666

TuneSalad666 Inactive

Mar 1, 2018
    Denmark
    My dad's basswood bass can kick both the other dad's entire collection of basses no matter what kind of wood they are made of simultaneously each hour 24 times every day all week long for 725 years in a row, and that even without using a strap!

BillMason, pudgychef and Doug Parent like this.
  10. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    Basswood is too fishy for my taste.

11. swarfrat

swarfrat

Sep 23, 2014
    No hate here no sir. But people only play it because they cant afford real tonewoods? Come on. Perhaps you meant someone is holding a gun to their head.

JIO likes this.
  12. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Medicinal value? Flowers and leaves? What exactly are we talking about here? :)

13. TuneSalad666

TuneSalad666 Inactive

Mar 1, 2018
    Denmark
    Uhm, it says so in the article linked to in that post you quote under the headline "Medicinal uses":

Medicinal uses
    Although Tilia cordata is believed to be stronger, T. americana is also used medicinally. The dried flowers are mildly sweet and sticky, and the fruit is somewhat sweet and mucilaginous. Linden tea has a pleasing taste, due to the aromatic volatile oil found in the flowers. The flowers, leaves, wood, and charcoal (obtained from the wood) are used for medicinal purposes. Active ingredients in the linden flowers include flavonoids (which act as antioxidants), volatile oils, and mucilaginous constituents (which soothe and reduce inflammation). The plant also contains tannins that can act as an astringent.[10]

Linden flowers are used in colds, cough, fever, infections, inflammation, high blood pressure, headache (particularly migraine), as a diuretic (increases urine production), antispasmodic (reduces smooth muscle spasm along the digestive tract), and sedative. The flowers were added to baths to quell hysteria, and steeped as a tea to relieve anxiety-related indigestion, irregular heartbeat, and vomiting. The leaves are used to promote sweating to reduce fevers. The wood is used for liver and gallbladder disorders and cellulitis (inflammation of the skin and surrounding soft tissue). That wood burned to charcoal is ingested to treat intestinal disorders and used topically to treat edema or infection, such as cellulitis or ulcers of the lower leg.[10][11]

Several animal studies showed that the extract of T. americana increased sleeping time with 50 minutes (similar to the effects of diazepam) and decreased movement, which indicates sedative effects.[11][12] It is argued that its mechanism of action is due to the flavonoid quercetin,[13][14] as it inhibits the release of histamine.[15][unreliable medical source?]

14. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    Basswood is not a good looking wood so you will probably never see a basswood bass or guitar in a natural finish. I do know Music Nan did make a roasted basswood Bongo bass prototype that I’m assuming went into the vault.

Basswood is an inexpensive wood but it has a great tone. Probably the only other knock on it outside of looks is it is very soft so you can strip out screws and strap buttons real easy if you’re not careful.

Personally, I like basswood. I’ve had several Bongos and my mid 90’s Ibanez Soundgear basses are made of basswood. I’ve owned other guitars and basses made from it too. I personally have no issues with it and have no issues owning any guitars or basses made from it.

soulman969 and JIO like this.
  15. I love my bongo, best sounding bass I've ever played. Beats my zon any day of the week.

pudgychef likes this.
  16. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I was making reference to a little known herb called Mary Jane. I don't partake. I was making a funny. It is good to know all of that because I do favor healthy choices over Big Pharma.

RobTheRiot likes this.
  17. TuneSalad666

TuneSalad666 Inactive

Mar 1, 2018
    Denmark
    Well, fair enough, just didn't really get that reference since there are thousands of plants out there which flowers and leaves has medicinal properties.

The article does among other stuff actually mention that one of the substances found in the flowers and leaves of basswood is similar to Diazepam, also known as Valium, which is a Benzodiazepine, known to be fairly commonly used as recreational drug making you feel stoned.

18. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Fetishizing - exactly right, IMHO.

JeffJ2112 and JIO like this.
  19. Timpanogos Slim

Timpanogos Slim

May 26, 2017
    does some wood glue and a tooth pick not work to remediate stripped screws in basswood? It works in the slabs of masonite some First Acts are made of . . . .

soulman969 and JeffJ2112 like this.
  20. TuneSalad666

TuneSalad666 Inactive

Mar 1, 2018
    Denmark
    It does, even really effectively, and has in fact already been mentioned several times in this thread as a method to fix stripped screws, preferably screwing the screw back in while the glue is still wet.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021