Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why can't i install my US-428?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by FunkinA, Mar 29, 2004.

1. FunkinA

FunkinA

Sep 13, 2003
    MA
    I bought A used tascam US-428 on ebay and the seller neglected to include the usb cable. i found a cable that fits from my old MD player but when i try to install the hardware the "install new hardwarw wizard" doesn't work. Do i a different usb cable?
    -Liam

2. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Tascam (in the 428 manual) is pretty emphatic about using the USB cable the 428 comes with. Does your cable have the braided wire under a clear insulator case? You might write to or call Tascam about it, maybe even request to purchase theirs- if you got the device cheap enough, it's probably worth it.
    All your system stuff- requirements, etc- is cool? Don't mean to be insulting! Doesn't hurt to ask.

Rog.

3. FunkinA

FunkinA

Sep 13, 2003
    MA
    the seller gave me a cable like you described but it doesn't fit into the 428 both plugs are rectangular shaped like the inputs on my computer. the usb port on the 428 is more square shaped. do you know what im saying? Btw the cable they gave me has a "CBL" brand name on the plugs( if that makes any diffrence).

My computer meets the system requirements.
    -Liam

4. FunkinA

FunkinA

Sep 13, 2003
    MA
    The problem is definetly the usb cable the one from my MD player doesn't actually fit correctly. I looked at pictures from other ebay auctions and my cable is diffrent.

5. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Tascam is pretty helpful with problems, they've been responsive to me so far. You might e-mail them from the Tascam web-site, in fact you could try Custserv4@tascam.com or Custserv4@teac.com one of those is right!

Got a good computer tech/supplier in your neighborhood?...

I know what you mean about the shape of the plug- it's kind of square at one end with two little points on top. Poor form on the part of your seller, sorry! :spit:

Rog.

6. FunkinA

FunkinA

Sep 13, 2003
    MA
    I'll try to contact the seller and see if if they sent me this cable by accident because it looks so similar to the 428 cable. If that doesn't work i'll try those links. Thanks Rog.
    -Liam

7. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Dewit! (Do it!) Could well be a mistake... I don't see the point of keeping it on purpose, since it came with the gadget, and the manual makes a bit of a fuss about using their cable. Hope you get what you need, mang! Peace at ye,

Rog.

8. FunkinA

FunkinA

Sep 13, 2003
    MA
    It was a mistake and my proper cable is the mail.