why do custom builders ask you what tuning you want?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jodeen, Aug 21, 2017.

1. jodeen

jodeen

May 27, 2017
    Hey guys. Why do custom bass builders ask you what tuning you are going to use on the bass (if it's multiscale) before they build it for you?

And if you decide on one and later change your mind, will multiscale cause problems?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I would assume it'd be a lead-in question to get more details on intended use, string gauge to ponder, maybe even preamp options. No, you wouldn't have any issues with changing your mind later... I'd changed one of my Dingwalls from BEADG to F#BEAD just by changing the strings and putting a new nut on. I know others have gone in the other direction, EADGC, with theirs.

jodeen and TolerancEJ like this.
  3. jodeen

jodeen

May 27, 2017
    Thanks Selta. I didn't think about the nut.
    Forgive the noob question but you think you would need to change nut going from ADGCFBbEbAb to F#1 E2 A2 D3 G3 B3 E4?

Nephilymbass likes this.
  4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, you went from 8 strings to 7 :p
    More than just the tuning, you'd need to see what string gauge change you were going to have. When I went from .140 to .170 (B to F#), the F3 wouldn't even fit in the nut slot. Had I just gone from .140 to like .145, it would've been OK.

jodeen likes this.
  5. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    To set the nut slots, bridge saddles, and neck properly for the tension. Possibly to pick a proper scale length.
    It seems like a fairly normal question to me.

jodeen likes this.
  6. jodeen

jodeen

May 27, 2017
    Never spoke to a builder about a custom :) Thanks guys.

7. jodeen

jodeen

May 27, 2017

Lol yes :( my bad...

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021