1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why do I do this to myself...

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by sevenyearsdown, Mar 11, 2018.

1. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I've changed my rig so often that I end up dumping gear that I need later on. Discovered at two gigs recently that I once again need a HPF. I'm pushing my amp into limiting on the low end at some stupid loud gigs. After proudly proclaiming that a HPF isn't necessary, I'm now regretting the two that I've sold. Should have just left in mu rig the whole time, dummy.

2. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Hoarding and GAS is always the answer.

Seanto, kerrycares and Jefenator like this.
  3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Unfortunately, all three sold very fast.

Ric

4. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I proudly proclaimed how I didn't need a HPF, after having one on my rig for quite some time........now just to admit defeat and have to buy one again. :banghead:

5. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    i gave my series II to a fellow bass player i admire greatly.

i think i was distracted by how cool and nice he was....didn't think i'd need one with all the other gear i got.

i realized my mistake the next weekend at a gig and i went home and bought the first fDeck that came up in the classifieds :)

6. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Funny thing, I got my first FDeck because one of the concert halls here in St. Louis was terribly boomy.

It worked great at controling the low end, but it didn't work well with a Walter Woods amp.

Something between Realist, FDeck, and Walter Woods combination that gave the combination

a different tone quality. Don't know exactly why.

Ric

7. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works, Honey Badger Pickups, Westone Audio
    IME, the Realist generally works best with about a 1Meg input (WW) vs. 10Meg (Fdeck). 95% of the time I use the 1Meg input on my Clarus SL instead of the 10Meg input because the Realist tends to get very loose and feed-back prone at 10Meg. Same goes for the Radial PZDI; the 1Meg setting w/HPF dialed in is far more controlled and cleaner than the 10Meg setting w/HPF tuned up to battle the feedback.

That's my personal experience. YMMV.

Jefenator likes this.
  8. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Agreed, Walter took the Underwood pickup and matched it to his amp, setting the input impedance at 1 Meg Ohm. Unfortunately, the HPF's are set at 10 Meg Ohm, so you can't alter the input
    impedance. Since the Walter Woods is 1 Meg ohm any way it's a good match running the Realist without a HPF thing is you can't filter the low end. You can insert it into the effects loop
    while running the pickup into the front end.

Ric

9. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    Yes, off to a gig in an hour’s time. And have just put a new batt in the HPF. Wouldn’t be without it. Realist pickup, Puma 500 and Genzler 10-2 array.

10. It is never a problem to lower the input impedance. Just put a 1(.2) MegOhms resistor from signal to ground (could be made inside a plug/jack in a short extension cable). That effectively puts the 10 MegOhms resistor inside the preamp and the extension cable resistor of 1(.2) MegOhms in parallel and you get a resulting resistance (impedance) of 1 MegOhms.

kerrycares and Jefenator like this.
  11. kerrycares

kerrycares Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan

Sounds like you should build these and sell them . I’m your first beta customer.

12. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    I've regretted selling most everything i ever have. Situations always arise later when i "wish i had that."

13. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    My experience has been mixed, but their are a few things that I’ve wished
    I had kept. It’s a short list, only two things. An Ampeg B-15N(D), and a Fender Jazz Bass (1966)

Ric