Why doesnt Robert DeLeo get props?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by vegaas, Oct 2, 2003.

1. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    I am learning a song from STP. I always knew DeLeo was a good bass player, but I never realized how good until I tried to learn this song. I started to listen to rest of album and he blew me away.
    My question is, why do Flea and Les Claypool get so much attention and Mr. DeLeo doesnt?
  2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I agree. He's very noteworthy:)p ). The only reason I can think of is also the reason much of that band as a whole is overlooked. Fantastic musicians they may be, but none of them seem to have the charisma to stand out on their own that Scott Weiland, Flea, or Claypool does. I truly believe now a days musicianship can not stand alone without appearance and/or personality to back it. Just my $.02.;)
  3. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    I'll have to agree with you on this one. Not only is he a great player but he's also one of the main songwriters in the band. In addition to bass he also plays the guitar.

A major talent in the rock world.
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    He is a GREAT bassist & one of my favotire players.

Also, I think he has one of the best bass tones in rock!!!!
  5. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Nino, you've probably heard of the little known band the Deleo brothers started with a different singer called Talk Show right? Just a heads up for more goodies by Rob Deleo if you had'nt. They're not very well known about.;)
  6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    He's only one of MANY extraordinary players out there who don't get the recognition they deserve.
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    ...maybe because his band is dead?...
  8. He does have a pretty cool signature model bass made by Schecter. He is definitely the highest profile guy in their stable. They also make a Tommy Lee model guitar so that may not be saying much.
  9. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Tripping on a Hole in a Paper Heart is one of my favoritest bass-lines of all time.. he just flies through the whole song.
  10. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    That is the song I am trying to learn! I have to learn it for an audition this weekend. I just started on it last night. Wow, he is really moving in that song.
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    VERY underrated player. Cat has a nasty groove.
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    He doesn't get props? I think he gets plenty attention.

Why don't you do a search? :D

I think there are a few threads about Robbie.
  13. It's probably because his band itself doesn't get enough recognition. Scott Weiland is the unluckiest man in the world.
  14. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
  15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

You read that article in Spin right? (It was Spin... right?) Funny stuff.
  16. Flea and Les Claypool are better know for their studio work. DeLeo's studio work is more on Organ and vocals!

;) Treena
  17. Yeah StupidMatt! It was one of those really over-rated pop culture zines. I thought that bit was hilarious and very true, unfortunately.
  18. "Interstate Love Song"... That tune gives me goosebumps every friggin' time I hear it. I just love this song.

...Oh, yeah, DeLeo's a great bassist!
  19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FWIW - He was on the cover of "Bass Player" mag not all that long ago. Maybe that stewpid cowboy hat doesn't help. :meh:
  20. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You might ask why so many bassists period don't get attention.

Flea got attention because of the high profile of the Chili Peppers. Their mix of punk and funk wasn't brand new (check out the Contortions or Defunkt) but they were the first band to be commercially successful doing it. So Flea became the poster boy for slapping in a punk context.

Claypool got well known because he was Primus' front man. Many of the best known rock bassists were also the front men for their bands: Geddy Lee, Jack Bruce, McCartney, Sting.

It also helps to have a good publicist :D