Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why gcgcf?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by anomalybass, Oct 24, 2004.

1. I've been playing around w/ some alternate tunings lately, and one in particular has my interests. Ryknow from mudvayne plays w/ his 5's tuned to GCGCF. Besides just being a lower tuning, could this tuning be used for easier scales/melodies, ect? Maybe I just haven't learned enough about theory to be able to fully take advantage of a two octave tuning.

2. he does this to match the guitarists, who play in CGCFAD, and instead of tuning his 5 string UP to CGCFA, he tunes it DOWN to GCGCF, which is probably better and safer than tuning up. I'm putting together a death metal band and the guitarists tune to DGCFAD, and to match them, I'll have to tune my 7-string bass down to ADGCFAD (unless I just use my 4-banger).

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I strung one of my 4 strings DADA back in college and really enjoyed it. It gave a lot of new possibilities and forced me to get better at moving around on the neck a lot. I always thought I would have prefered to have learned it like that from the beginning since there are only basically 2 strings to memorize and the next 2 match it, but it made me have to think to closely on all the stuff I already knew how to play.

4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Ryan uses a .140 B, I don't think he uses 5ers anymore either?

5. Isn't GCGCF banjo tuning, or pretty close?

6. Pretty sure I saw at least one 5 in the new mudvayne vid. Bass gear mag said he definately used one for recording the second album(the one after ld 50).

7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, I remember seeing him with 5's in a lot of pics, and people said he used them live.

8. It's strange, I got tabs for severed about 4 months ago, and the tabs were for b tuning on a 5. After watching the first mudvayne dvd again I noticed he was playing the song (from what I could see) the exact way I have been. On the new dvd he playes almost all of the old songs w/ 4's using cgcf, gcgcf tuning. What's the point of changing your tuning and relearning songs?

9. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I think they might be tuning to B on their new cd, all the pictures frome the website i saw showed him playing 5's...

10. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI

What's this new DVD????

11. All access to all things, the metallica tour dvd. It's not that new, but it's their second full length dvd.

12. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Ah....ok...i have thatone

13. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    The first one is (L)ive (D)osage.

14. He tunes down to G on his fives as well.

15. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah haha. I don't know, I guess we'll find out when the CD comes out, but just about every bass I saw him use on the new DVD is a 4.

16. Good point, maybe he's just lying about his tunings to screw with people like us. :eek: