1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why is it sometimes more difficult to play one string lower?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by vvbudh, Dec 6, 2018.

1. vvbudh

vvbudh

Dec 3, 2018
    Sup all, first thread, hope it's in the right spot.
    Anyway, I'm playing "Intruder Alert from TF2" and I'm finding that for some reason I always mess up when moving back to the E string, but while moving to the A string I'm fine. I'm playing the exact same thing just one string higher or lower, so what gives? Any thoughts?

2. I think its the way your hand naturally curves and moves downward. I'm really quick and articulate moving down strings and frets myself, but slightly sloppier moving back up.

3. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Not sure if I've noticed the problem before myself. Do you anchor your thumb when plucking with your fingers? If so, perhaps try anchoring in a different spot. It could be due to ergonomic geometry.

4. vvbudh

vvbudh

Dec 3, 2018
    Hmm, I've got a 5 string so I leave it on the B string to mute it, just above the top pickup. Most of my trouble comes from my left hand though. I've always been concerned about getting the right technique with my left hand. relaxing it, keeping space in between, tips of fingers, that kind of thing.

But I also put it in-between the B and E string to mute them when I move up to play the A string.

Also I thought it could just be a further reach for my fingers?

5. I think we all have problems, to some extent, moving up or down the strings. I have problems with the 7 scale degree, not so much with the 6.

The 6 is just over the 3 and for some reason I do not have a problem with the 6. Could be I use the 6 more than the 7.

My point; this two will cure itself with use. Keep at it.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Seanto likes this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

practice. good luck! :thumbsup:

Seanto likes this.