1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

why is the internet so cheap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sirspoogesalot, Sep 21, 2008.

1. sirspoogesalot

sirspoogesalot

Apr 21, 2008
    London
    Hi,

i have realised that the prices of bass guitars on the internet are WAY cheaper than they are in bass guitar shops, I understand that this could be because they set them up and what not.

so isn't it just wiser to buy off the internet when i can be saving £100

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Most internet sites don't have the overhead of sales people (not as many) and rent for a showroom. Webspace is much cheaper than floor space.

I still like to go to brick and mortar shops to play with new toys before I buy.

3. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I've found that the stores in my area all sell crappy off brands and have the occasional hugely overpriced Fender or Peavey. Guitar Center is OK if you want Fender, Warwick, or Ibanez, but it's tough to find what I really want to play.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Given the choice, I'd always rather play a bass in person before buying. Otherwise, it's a crap shoot.

5. christiaan_01

christiaan_01

May 6, 2007
    Brick and morter is very expensive :D

6. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Unless you live in an area with a bass guitar focused store that carries a wide range of basses, the local store choices are not usually very good. This makes it difficult to try out a lot of different basses, especially high-end ones as the local stores tend to carry the lower end basses. I think this is becauser there are a lot of kids and adults that get the itch to learn bass, thus the lucrative market for low end instruments. It has an interesting parallel to the bicycle industry.

7. Your problem is you live in London. Think about how much stores are paying to maintain rent in London! Also, welcome to the rip off british high street!

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I thought you meant that the internet was cheap.
    It won't be for long if some people get their way.

9. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Worldwide competition.

Yeah Capitalism!

10. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    +1 - if you can find one.

My local downtown store sells nothing but crap and they don't fix anything. I wouldn't suggest anyone start playing on a Johnson bass. I went in there yesterday to try out one of the new AXL Badwater basses, and the one I tried obviously had a wiring issue (buzzed like nobody's business) but it went right back on the hook.

11. Always pay the bass before you buy it. And even if you're saving money on the internet, you may be paying the difference with shipping/handling/duties.

12. I bought a carvin by phone in 1997...still have it...
    I bought a Yammy by internet in 2005...was my #1 for 3 years
    I bought a wishbass by internet in 2004..:meh:...(I sold it...but I learned a lot ;) )
    I bought a cheapo auction special for $80 in 2007...i sold it for what I paid for it, but it was a pretty cool bass, actually...

the always play before you buy, is not so much a requirement for me...besides the risk is reduced when:

1) buying cheap
    2) dealing with a reputable company with a return policy on the more expensive gear
    3) you have experience doing setups and can see if a bass is worthy or not.

13. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

THEY CAN BE CHEAP BECAUSE -
    1. They have no overhead - they may not even have a store - just a website and an agreement from a vendor to ship for them.

2. No Salespeople and no commissions to pay.

HOWEVER -
    1. You can't try it first.

2. No service tech - No one to check out and set up the instrument for you.

3. No nearby warranty service - You have to send it back if there is a problem, and maybe you can't even do that!

4. No exchange privelege - If you get it home and there is a problem or you want to change your mind and get a different model, TOO BAD!

My friend owns a nice little music store in Culver City. He tells people shopping for price that he will match the on-line prices as long as he is allowed to match the on-line service. In other words - NONE!

14. Sifl

Sifl

May 14, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I would much rather support my local shop and economy rather than purchasing off the 'net. I get a good discount that is usually equal to what the webstores offer. Also, I get a feel for the instrument and get to hear it.

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

There are a couple of stores in my metropolitan area* that will beat any of the online stores. That said, I still do a lot of online shopping because I can't always find what I want locally.

* Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center, a really huge place, and Jive Sound, which is smaller and offers boutique gear. I'm not affiliated with either... just a happy customer.

16. Time Consumer

Time Consumer

Jan 27, 2008
    Joliet Ill.
    I got two of the three basses i own online. My first bass was an Ibanez BTB200 that was an online only thing from gc.com, I hadnt been playing very long and it was cheap and looked cool so i jumped at it. I was satisfied with my purchase when I got it. I was playing metal o it definitely had the tone for that, but not much else, which left me wanting more after a while. The second bass I got was a spector legend custom 5 from bassnw.com, which is really nice cuz they asked m a lotta questions about how I wanted it setup and all that. I did research extensively before i got it though, I even got a rare chance to play a spector rebop at gc(used of course, it was gone the next week), I fell in love with the tone and new I wanted a spector, end of story, havent had a problem with ordering online yet, so i would do it again if i had to. The next bass I want is an mtd so ill kinda have to since there are no bass-specific stores close to me.

17. DaneB

DaneB

May 25, 2008
    Western Australia
    It sure as hell aint in this country...

18. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    Question: how many basses have you bought from a store, VS how many have you bought used from an individual?

Second question: would you have ever found that individual or their bass without the internet?

These questioned intended for all TB'ers!!!

:bassist:

19. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I have never bought a bass from a store. I have bought or traded 14 basses online. I would much prefer to try a bass out before I buy it, but I'm not interested in any of the basses I can find in local stores, including GC. Luckily, I'm 45 minutes away from Bass NW.

20. After 20+ years of instrument acquisitions, I would have to say that regardless of brand, country of origin, or reputation...each instrument is unique. I really want to play them first before I buy..and am willing to pay at least a little more for that opportunity.