1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why was the Seinfeld theme played on a keyboard?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, May 9, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I'm curious as to why this theme was played on a keyboard, since the sound is similar to slap bass. Why couldn't Les just slap it out?

2. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Not sure, but I'm still surprised by how many people think that it was played on a bass and the thought of it being played on a keyboard never occured to them.

3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Maybe cuz the guy who wrote and played it (Jonathan Wolff) is a keyboard player...;)

Pacman, JimK, Imaginary Pony and 4 others like this.
  4. Dropkick

Dropkick

Dec 25, 2005
    Canada Eh
    Oh my, I didn't know this! :oops:

5. What would be the point of that?

6. If les was in charge of the seinfeld theme it probably would have sounded more like the robot chicken theme...

anyways, if the guy who did it wanted the sound that he had on his keyboard, whats the problem? just be glad people can identify that as a bass...

7. TV scores have been almost exclusively MIDI for a good 20 years now. It's fast, cheap, and composers can do it at home, rather than having to rent out a studio ($$$) and hire session musicians.

The husband of one of my fellow PhD students is a TV and film composer. He does everything on MIDI out of their living room. She often jokes that he made more on 60 seconds of music last year than she did working 40-hour weeks as the assistant director of one of USC's research institutes.

StayLow likes this.
  8. I know this post is way old but simply, composer Jonathan Wolff is a keyboardist. All the non bass, popping breath noises that happen around Jerry's standup scenes are all Wolff's voices.

9. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Maybe because with MIDI and a keyboard you can write and play back parts that would be physically impossible to play on a bass?

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    What's the deal with the keyboard player??!!!

11. Economics.

All these years everybody thought it was a bass......but it was a keyboard.

Happens all the time in Hollywood, commercials and any other situation where you can get a person to compose and play something without having to hire a boatload of musicians.

Some of these keyboards, you can make an entire C.D. from start to polished finished end without leaving your house.

And a great majority of the people listening to the C.D. couldn't tell if it was real instruments or not.

12. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    it was the early 90's

13. Hamerguy

Hamerguy

Mar 29, 2008
    Funny, as I thought it was so obvious that it was a keyboard.

Gluvhand and smeet like this.
  14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Real bass guitar has made a big comeback since then, you no longer see any synth bass in popular music or films.

;) :D

15. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    It never occurred to me that it was a bass, either. People always ask Graham Mabe (Joe Jackson's bass player) how he came up with that slick octave bassline on "Stepping Out". His answer is "I learned to program one of these" and points at his synth module. Same for Tina Weymouth on Speaking in Tongues/Stop Making Sense. Use what does the job you need it to do. The line and groove on "Girlfriend" is still freaking deadly, so what if it's a synth?

16. Funny, on my ride in to work today a live version of "Steppin' Out" (2.21.83) came up in the shuffle, and no doubt he's picking the octaves on his bass on that version.

17. Joebar:- I don't know if your statement "It was the early 90's" means that keyboard equipment that emulated various instruments were not available.

They most certainly were.

Even at the consumer level, in the 80's, the KN 7000 and 8000 Technics boards, an entire album could be made on them. With lots of instrument choices.

Professionally, there was much better equipment available.

You could emulate just about anything back then.

18. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Lots of 80's and even 90's movie soundtracks sound like they were done by one guy with a synth.
    I've even fooled around on a synth, playing random chords and then some single note lines and joked it was better than some scores to movies I'd seen.