Why would you choose a P over a J?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vindibona1, May 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. I know a lot of guys have a P bass as their weapon of choice. What is it about that model that would make you choose it over a J bass? I own both 4 and 5 string J basses and every time I pick up a P it just doesn't speak to me. Perhaps it's because I'm used to the neck on a J? I dunno. Sound is so nuanced anyway.

So what is it about P basses that grab you?

2. pappabass

pappabass Inactive

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide
    Bigger sound? I had a jazz just could not get that big bass sound I wanted. But a p bass is generally muddy.

activa44 and fender68 like this.
  3. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    For me, it'd be the way the P translates to the ear when played with other instrumentation.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the sounds of a Jazz too (and PLENTY of other basses, for that matter), but when blending with other sounds, whether on a stage, or musical accompanyment, headphones or open room, IMO the P just sits in the most pleasurable places within the ensemble as a whole. It's got the "beef" to support the rest of the sounds well, and tends to compliment rather than overpower. It's so simple, controls-wise, but can be incredibly versatile with a few knob twists on your amps EQ.

Not to mention, I've come to find the P bass neck profile to be one of my favorites.

4. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

I think you answered your own question. What ever speaks to you. They both get the job done.

5. Punch. I own both and like both but the P bass has a more old school tone, great rock basses, solid, especially with an SVT. Mine are Fender P/J basses but I usually use the P pickup with a little of the J pickup mixed in.

6. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Sound, feel, looks...

But I like Jazz basses too. :thumbsup:

sludgetail, activa44, Winton and 3 others like this.
  7. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Bigger, beefier tone but a P can sometimes sound a bit too...well, like a P. Thats why I have found I prefer a PJ. Can brighten up the P when needed, but still retains that P sound or it can beef up the J bridge sound, thats usually too thin on its own, by adding in the P pickup. Its much more versatile in tones than any P or J.

8. _Some Dude

_Some Dude

Sep 14, 2016
    As someone who prefers a Jazz that has only recently begun to understand a P...

If my amp is dialed in for a Jazz it’ll make my P sound thin and kind of boring. If it’s dialled in for a P it’ll make my J sound too scooped and kind of weak.

I’m sure there’s more to it. I never really liked the P that much until I plugged it into an Ampeg.

9. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    I wouldn't

bhendrix and Charlzm like this.
  10. Precision for me, thanks. It fits my style and is able to reproduce the tones I use most often without much effort. I just feel comfortable with them and although there are many other types of instruments that have stood the test of time, the P is one of the all time greats.

11. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I played Jazz bass for years, live and a some recording. Always wanted a P bass though. When I switched to a P bass years ago, I tried to get on with J basses as well, but I always ended up selling them. I prefer the tone, feel, neck (no more thin necks for me) and looks of a P bass. I still dig J basses, no doubt, but P bass is my thing. P and Ray is what I use nowadays, as both do it for me.

12. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Because it sounds better, and feels better.

Pops OB, retslock, steamthief and 5 others like this.
  13. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    At that, Js are cool too. In fact, anything that is tuned an octave lower than a guitar is great. It really doesnt matter what the hell it is. But for me, P sounds better, feels better, plays better. It's actually as simple as that.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  14. Feel-X

Feel-X Inactive

Apr 23, 2019
    D093082A-83C3-49E5-B441-C44DFFA81674.jpeg

Ellery, dalahorse, 4sight and 7 others like this.
  15. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Why the eternal comparison between the P and the J? They are two different instruments, that's all. No need for rivalry.

mcnach, raphaeld, Ellery and 12 others like this.
  16. Personal preference and nothing else.
    Same reason I choose a Stingray over both a P or a J. Someone else could play what I play in the bands I play with either of the others and I am sure it would sound good. I just prefer the sound of a Stingray.

retslock, Robscott, eadg98005 and 3 others like this.
  17. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't have to think about much; I just turn everything up to full and they simply sound good.

I also like the feel of the [typically] wider necks.

I prefer the inherent tone of the pickup to a J.

String-to-string balance can be perfected, unlike with a J (my biggest annoyance about Js is the weak middle strings).

And they look great.

That said, I don't ever hem and haw over P vs. J when leaving for a gig. I use them pretty much interchangeably.

18. Quote of the day

Ellery, Keger Jupit, activa44 and 8 others like this.
  19. Biffa

Biffa Inactive

Apr 16, 2019
    County Durham, UK
    Tone

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021