1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will any Fender Pickguard hole patterns fit a Aria Pro 77 Precise Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rocksolid, Nov 29, 2017.

1. I've acquired a Aria Pro II 77 Precise Bass (Precision clone) that is an unfinished project. It's missing the electronics, and it needs a new pickguard as the original has shrunk so much it no longer fits.

I was going to get one made, but then wondered since it was such an exact clone (to the point it was a lawsuit bass) if a Fender PG would fit it? I'm assuming the most likely would be an MIJ or MIA?

I'm away from home for a few days, so can't check to see if I have any spare pick guards to try, but figured someone on here might know. buying a Fender PG to fit should be cheaper and quicker than getting one made!

2. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Depends on your definition of 'fit'. You can make it work but all the screw holes are not going to line up, and you may need break out the sandpaper to get the neck heel and/or pickups clear. Those are fantastic copies but they're just not that exact.

3. No worries, thanks for your reply. Can't wait to check when I get home.

The Neck on it is killer, so hoping I can make something work for it.

4. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    I've had a 77 Precise Jazz(which happens to be up for sale here) and a 77 Professional P copy both excellent! I think they just had a tub of headstock decals at the end of the production line, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the names. I also briefly had a beautiful 76 Professional Jazz. This is when they first got it right 76 77.

5. I have a couple of pick guards at home, I think for MIJ Fender p basses, and I can confirm they do fit!