1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Will Magnets Harm A Raven Labs PHA-1?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dregsfan, Jan 14, 2017.

1. dregsfan

dregsfan Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2006
    I have a Raven Labs PHA-1 Headphones Mixer that I want to mount under a metal table top. Mounting with some magnets would make the "installation" really easy. Not knowing anything about electronics, I'm needing to know if the magnets will harm the inner workings of the unit. Any electrical engineering types around here?

Many Thanks.

R.L. PHA-1.jpg

2. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Why not just use some industrial Velcro? It would be harmless and less chance of scratching the powder coat. Those PHA1s are awesome!

3. dregsfan

Sep 13, 2006
    Actually, I can think of several ways to do it, but the magnets would be so slick .............. or something.

Thanks Ricky.

4. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I suspect that if you had magnets on either end of two straps so that the straps were holding the mixer (like in a sling-like way) and the magnets were not in contact with the mixer itself you would be fine. It's just a guess, but as an engineer that would be my approach.

5. dregsfan

Sep 13, 2006
    Great suggestion Al.

Thanks for that.

Al Kraft likes this.
  6. It is doubtful that anything inside would be susceptible to damage. Keep the magnets away from the transformer, though, if the unit has one.

Personally, I would go for velcro.

7. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I agree it's unlikely that the magnets would affect the solid state components in the box. However, introducing a random magnetic field around or coupled with electrical equipment/components/wiring that was not part of the operational environment envisioned by the original designer can result in interference with circuit performance. A lot depends on the field strength and proximity to particularly susceptible areas.

8. dregsfan

Sep 13, 2006
    I appreciate it guys.
    I'll skip the magnets.

Look what I found!
    I'm going to order one of these from Salvage Custom Pedalboards. Measurements are perfect.

IMG_1201[1].jpg

(Damn I'm good.)

Ricky Caboverde and Al Kraft like this.
  9. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Looks like an excellent solution...solid, safe attachment and very professional looking to top it off.

10. dregsfan

Sep 13, 2006
    Thanks Al

Take Care

Al Kraft likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021