1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will they hum? SCPB + J

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by knucklehead G, May 11, 2011.

1. I called Seymour Duncan about this earlier and the rep said he didn't know the answer, but if they hum I can buy one of the pickups reverse-wound to solve the issue.

Duncan SCPB3 in the middle, SJB3 at the bridge. Will these hum-cancel in their stock format, or do I need to call a dealer and have one reverse-wound?

2. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    If you want no hum, you'll need to get the STK-J series. These will not hum cancel.

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    It would depend on whether or not they are normally reverse wound to begin with - I suspect not. You might be better off going to the dealer initially and letting him ensure that the set are reverse wound from each other.

4. kjbrowne

kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    Florida
    I have the same setup. Humms just like a jazz.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    sorry, nope.

a P and any single-coil J will hum. (the P "cancels its own hum", leaving the J by itself.)

for a good quiet but strong J pickup, look at dimarzio's area J or ultra J. they will both be stronger and clearer than any duncan stack, as they're split-coils instead of vertical stacks.

6. He's talking about a single coil P, not a regular split coil.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    who has two thumbs and is retarded? ME!

yes of course, you will get at least some hum-cancel, as long as the two single coils :( are RWRP from each other (which you can check by putting a potential replacement top-to-top against the first pickup: if they attract, then they're opposite polarity, and can be wired to hum-cancel.)