Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will this work with Garage Band?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ole Jason, May 6, 2004.

1. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I'm trying to help a friend set up his Mac for recording but I don't really understand how to best set it up hardware wise. He got a new iMac last year and is running osX with garage band.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...6615946/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/701368/

This looks to be the best option I've found so far. He is telling me the iMac doesn't have a line-in though so will this work? He's looking to spend $150-200 so any other reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That is pretty much the best option.

For about $400 he could get a Firewire 410, that would ensure he would never have latency issues, but it's way more expensive.

3. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I have the exact same pre-amp and it works fine with my iBook.

It come with a driver cd that has pc and mac drivers on it.

4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Does that Firewire 410 allow you to record 4 channels simultaneously?

5. av_rockstar

av_rockstar

Oct 4, 2003
    So. Cali.
    Try looking for a used stand alone 4 or 8 track recorder
    like, Tascam, ect.. Then just go line in to ur/his computer......
    :eyebrow:

Jeff
    -------- :bassist:
    atuworld.com
    Check it out....

6. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I believe that one of the limitations of GarageBand is that you can only record 1 track at a time. Given all of the other great aspects of GB, and the $50 price tag (free with new Macs, even), one can't complain too much. Guess Apple can't give away ALL of the goodies found in Logic, its pro-grade recording software. :)

7. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I know GB is limited to one track, but I'd use Logic Express or Cubase or something. I just need to find something that isn't too expensive that will record two mics (need preamps for those) and two instrument feeds at the same time.

Maybe since this thread is GB related it wasn't the best place to ask, but I know Wrong Robot knows someone with one of these so I wanted to pose the question to him.

Sorry for mucking up the thread.

8. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    He must first chose the software that he likes and feels comfortable with, then choose the hardware for it. I would recommend Digidesign M-Box / Pro Tools. On Ebay they run about $250 - $350, but that gives you very good software/hardware combo.

Cheers

9. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    For GB, the M-Audio pre works like a champ. For recording multiple tracks at once (i.e. Drums), I figure one could just use a mixing console into the pre or line in and do levels and such on that.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    while the firewire 410 has 4 inputs, they don't operate at once, you have to switch to the rear inputs to use them. So, you can only do 2 tracks at a time.

11. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Thanks for the info WR.