Will you be using a Line-6 M13?

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by liquid-dream-ex, Feb 4, 2009.

1. I've seen a photo that indicates this.

If so, can you share how you use it?

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    First off, can you direct us to what photo you are referring to?

3. Hope i can find it, i#ll go searching my browser history.

edit: didn't take too long.

Here it is:
    [​IMG]
    hosted on nin.com
    found it on somethingawful.com's forums

4. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Ah...looks like Trent snapping me from his iPhone.

I dunno. M13 sounds good, but the MIDI implementation leaves something to be desired. We'll see, way too early for me to tell you anything definitive.

JMJ

5. Ah, I see, thanks for replying.

Do you use any crazy combinations like multiple instances of the same type or is it the variety that got you to try it out? Or something different altogether?

6. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Way too early. Ask me in a few months.

7. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    haha the only thing that struck me was the insanely over the top amount of guitar cases in the corner there! but kudos for the M13! :D

8. do i see a bass big muff as well?

9. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Ditto, I see a bass big muff!! I really want one of those bad boys!

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    You know, I would love to see a multi-fx unit that didn't have one aspect of it that totally sucks donkey sack. Every single one has an Achilles heel. You'd think they'd have it perfected by now. But either there's an inordinate amount of lag time between switching patches, or a whole section of effects sounds bad, or whatever. Always a trade-off. All these huge advances in technology lately, and they still can't get it 100%.

11. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    If line 6 could get decent stomp box sounds in their Bass Pod Live I would be happy as anything! But yeah, they're not bad, just lacking. I guess you will never be able to make a microchip sound as good as some high quality transistors, capacitors, valves and diodes. Hmm.... Like I think every time I lug my masses of gear to a gig, I want to play the harmonica! One instrument, no effects, simple, done! (do they make a bass harmonica?)

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    You bet!

13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Cheshire, UK
    Hey Justin just wondering how you are getting one with this now, what fx are you using it for.

I was thinking of getting one for the other fx I might have to use but aren't in my staple arsenal.

The Modfactor was the other one I was looking at so wondering how they compare.

Also particuarly wondering if you are using any of the gain sections of the M13.

Cheers

14. Thats alot of guitar cases

15. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    The gain stuff doesn't work amazingly well for me, but I think it's a matter of taste.

I use it mainly for filter things, mod things, and especially delays. Modfactor sounds amazing, I highly recommend that pedal. Unique Eventide tones. Both are great, M13 is more versatile.

Best,
    JMJ

16. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Cheshire, UK
    How do you find it in comparison to rack units (The M13 I mean)

I'm thinking of picking one up to cover all those effects I don't normally use, but I've never got on with any other multi's before mainly due to sound quality and being a £$%^&*$ to program.

17. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    It's fine. I prefer not to use rack stuff for live effects. I use the TC rack thing only for specific harmonizing, gating, EQ, and a few specialized swept filters and multi tap delays.

M13 is nothing to program, and I like the tones.

18. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Cheshire, UK
    Any chance your tech can back the M13 up (which he should do anyway so you don't lose your precious settings) and email me the Sysex file :D :ninja:

19. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    ;)

20. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I second that Tayste!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021