Windows XP internet connection problem.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Smokey, Apr 2, 2004.

1. OK gang, I am back with more computer problems. From the time I got my computer in december 2003, until march 31, last wednesday, my internet has never had a problem staying connected. Then, thursday afternoon, it is acting funny. I try to sign on to AIM; Service cannot be reached. Try to sign on to MSN messenger; Broswer cannot connect to the internet. Try to open a webpage, nothing. It was doing this for two other XP users on my computer. But, for my sister, it worked perfectly fine.
    After talking with a computer/xp knowledged person, he suggested system restore. I restored the system to the way it was wednesday, and Voila! it works again. For me. and not my mom or dad. So, I restored it for my dad back to last saturday, and nothing. I have no idea where to begin with this, other than contct microsoft. Does anyone have any ideas? This problem seems way out of the ordinary.
  2. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Hmmmmz... try getting seek and destroy by spybot ...scanning ur pc for spyware... those things can mass things up sometimes... i've seen few that shutdown ur pc when u have unfirewalled connection... see if that finds anything....

You can also take a hammer and hit your PC few times... fixes all my problems... Axe = best sources for headache... no head no headache no problem:]
  3. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I'm getting the same problem! On both computers on my home network. eMule can still download/upload stuff (i have permanent ADSL connection). But I can't access websites or anything, was doing it for no reason earlier today, then suddenly started working again :( Got ad-aware and getting spybot now... Weird :\
  4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Do you have admin rights on the computer? If so, check the security settings for your Mon and Dad. As mentioned above, check for spyware. Check for common worms, too. If that works, take a system snapshot, turn off system restore, reboot the system, and turn system restore back on.

As always, before you do any of this, back up anything of importance for ALL users and the system itself.
  5. One thing that helps in network problems: open a terminal session (the black DOS screen). If you don't know how: start, run, type in 'cmd' and hit ENTER.

Then, type in 'ipconfig /release', hit ENTER and then type in 'ipconfig /renew' and hit ENTER again. Should work.

oh: everyting you type in is without the ' '.
  6. Update: A friend of the family is very well versed in computers, and especially XP. After tinkering, using ad-aware, spybot, and some specific controls, he fixed it. Thanks for your input, though.
  7. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Yay... congrads:]

horay for spybot... its 1st thing i do when there are weird windows problems:]great company... i think as soon as i get work i will donate to them...:p
  8. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    My internet has gone mental again, I can get on talkbass, but nowhere else at all... It seemed to just solve itself yesterday, ran spybot and ad-aware...