Winter Buildoff 2022: Still A Diva

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by TerribleTim68, Dec 22, 2021.

1. Oh hey, for those interested, I finally got the video of turning the knob posted. Not my better work, so pay no attention to the black screen portions. I'm arguing with my editing software, long story.

Anyways -

Oh, crappy playing at the end of it too for a sound clip. ;)
    There's a reason I'm a member of the "Crappy Bassists with Expensive Gear Club". :roflmao:

Bent77, ronknor, SlingBlader and 9 others like this.
  2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Always cool putting a face to the Avatar. Love that bass! I have literally never tried woodturning, my family more boat-related where turning didnt come up much.

Beej, TerribleTim68 and Reedt2000 like this.
  3. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Great stuff Tim! My only disappointment was that you didn’t say “This bass needs a volume knob…” and then use that crucial fact as an excuse to buy yourself a new, even larger lathe.

Hopefully this is another mistake you learn from.

4. Flying B

Flying B

Apr 29, 2018
    It's tiny! The bass, I mean. You only realise when you actually see someone holding it.

TerribleTim68 and Reedt2000 like this.
  5. I actually have a larger lathe, it's the green thing behind me when using that lathe. It's a Grizzly G1495 that I got for free. It was headed to the dump and a friend of mine said "Wait, I know someone that might want this." I haven't actually used it yet though, and for smaller stuff I really like the little Jet 1015. :cool:
    Oh, and then I also have the ShopSmith, which technically can be a lathe.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  6. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    I just fired up my little Bose mini Bluetooth speaker and listened to the clip at the end.
    That sounds friggin awesome!

ronknor and TerribleTim68 like this.
  7. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I agree!!!

TerribleTim68 likes this.
  8. Thanks man. I am NOT a great player, but I can fake it will enough. I know where notes are, but my fingers argue since I really don't play often enough.

Rôckhewer and Beej like this.
  9. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    That's why I mostly focus on my spandex and high kicks

10. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Nice knob job! The bass looks great moving around there, that finish came out beautifully. :thumbsup:

TerribleTim68 and Rôckhewer like this.
  11. Rôckhewer

Rôckhewer Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Owner/Builder- RockHewer Custom Guitars LLC
    I'm just thankful that your happy little whistle whilst sanding theme song is firmly embedded in my scull.... and will now likely haunt me... every time I sand something .
    ... Thx bruh....:meh:
    :whistle::whistle:,:whistle::whistle:,:whistle::whistle:,:whistle::whistle:...:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:.... :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:...:whistle:...,:whistle:'':whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:.

TerribleTim68, SlingBlader and Beej like this.
  12. Rôckhewer

Rôckhewer Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Owner/Builder- RockHewer Custom Guitars LLC
    ... and yes... If you check the cadence... that's transcribed correctly.
    ...tabs link in the description. :p

Beej, TerribleTim68, Bent77 and 3 others like this.
  13. :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao:

My wife was giving me crap for the sanding song. But I'm pretty sure that's a thing now, it'll go in every video from this day forth! :D :woot: