Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wireless systems - advice needed

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by booch, Jun 23, 2005.

1. booch

booch

Aug 12, 2004
    Hi,

anyone could recommend a wireless transmitter for me? I have never used one in my life so I don't know what to expect. Some players complained to me they don't have just as a wide freq range as cables. I wouldn't want to lose any of the low or high end!

I've just checked bass central and they have but one make, a Carvin.

Thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You won't lose any high or low end if you use a good wireless. Actually, you will gain a slight bit of high end on most of them. The biggest problem with them is the amount of compression the cheaper ones add. Squashes the signal like crazy.

I haven't tried them all, but the best wireless you can get cheap is made by Samson. I've used their bottom of the line true diversity models for about 15 years (the current model like that is the Stage 55) and they sound great and have no audible compression. I have a Synth 32 now (currently in the shop) that has switchable channels, but it doesn't sound any better than the cheap ones.

3. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    If you have the money the Sennheiser EW100 G2 works well.

4. booch

booch

Aug 12, 2004
    Thanks, I am checking them!

Seems like the better quality transmitters are in the $600+ (retail, not list) price range.

Anyone used a Carvin before?

5. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I've never used Carvin before but I have an Audio Technica wireless that's been used just about every weekend for 4 years. I've never had a problem with it ever. It's great on batteries too.

6. Don't make it any more, but Xwire is the gold standard. 20 bit digital better than cd quality, no compression necessary.

Good luck finding one though, maybe Ebay. People hang onto them like their first girlie magazine.

Randy

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Stay away from the low end Nady systems. I "fixed" a Nady 101 system for a guitarist. I needed to test it in a band situation ;) So I took it to band practice.

I was impressed with the range. With the receiver in the basement I could walk all over the first floor of a large house.

However, when I got back down to the basement the guitarist turned to me and said "Where did the thump go?". So I went back to a cable. The unit just killed the bottom end.