Wireless to Wired SM58 Conversion

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by brlottermann, Jul 10, 2020.

1. brlottermann

brlottermann

May 14, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Recently found my dads old karaoke set up in the basement, but unfortunately they run on a restricted frequency (they were made before the 2010 wireless microphone regulations). So I intend on removing the transmitter, and soldering an xlr directly to the positive/negative. I've just never seen this type of connector (pictured below), which ring corresponds to p/n/g? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Looks like the outer ring is ground. The other two don't matter that much. If its polarity is backwards, it will rarely matter, but I'd it does, mixers have polarity switches for a reason.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I hope this works out for you but Shure's FAQ isn't encouraging

Converting wireless to wired microphones

It's worth a try though.
    I'd be interested to see the insides of the mic and if it has a transformer built in. Possibly a 3d printed end cap could be made to adapt and xlr to it.

4. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Translation: that’s a hard “no”, but knock yourself out.

ps - sounds like a world of trouble for a $99 microphone.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021