1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wiring EMG guitar pickups to stereo...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wyattharris, Aug 20, 2012.

1. wyattharris

wyattharris

Mar 23, 2011
    So I'm getting a tapping instrument made by Kevin Siebold of the infamous Krappy Guitars... He puts passive EMGs in the instruments, but i'd like to know if it would be possible to experiment later. Basically i have a set of EMG guitar humbuckers, and i want to know if it is possible to have two active pickups running off the same battery but with each pickup going to a seperate output, and, if so, how would i do this?

2. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    No problem doing that.

Just connect ground to sleeve of both of the outputs, Battery ground to both of the ring terminals and the signal wire from the pickups (Or volume control) to each of the tip terminals on the outputs.

You could add a switch that shorts the two tip terminals together if you want mono-mode.

If you want a tone control you will need one for each pickup. This would be wired just like a normal tone control. (Either by using two separate pots or a "stereo pot"). Be aware that the effect of the tone control will be added if you turn on the mono-switch.

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    If you are going to use a stereo jack to run the two outputs, keep in mind that you normally use a stereo jack to switch on the battery. A regular stereo jack can't do both.

So you will need a stereo switching jack. It has an actual switch that closes when you plug the cable in, as well as the tip and ring contacts.

4. wyattharris

wyattharris

Mar 23, 2011
    I don't know if i made this clear, the instrument has two output jacks, one for each pickup; I'm not gonna be using a stereo cable like a Stick does.

5. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    OK I didn't see that. So at least one jack needs to be stereo.

You can use the same power for both pickups.

6. wyattharris

wyattharris

Mar 23, 2011
    If i do that, does that mean that if i plug into the non-stereo output only, the pickups will not turn on?

7. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    That's right. So, you can use two stereo jacks and wire them up in parallel. That way plugging into either one of them will switch on the battery.

8. wyattharris

wyattharris

Mar 23, 2011
    Figure ill just put the stereo jack on the bass side output, cause i doubt ill be soloing the melody strings... I have guitars for that... Thanks man, you know your stuff. :)

9. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    It's easy enough to use two stereo jacks, but you are probably right.

And you're welcome. I do my best!