1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ClaytonH, Jun 7, 2011.

1. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    I got 2 humbuckers for my bass. how do I wire it up if I just want 2 volume knobs (for each pickup) and 2 tone knobs and just that. I cant find one with just those parts. Also some ohmeric values would be nice for the potentiometers.

2. 3945260143_aa91c27bae_o.

Why do you want two tones? They are going to interact.

3. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    Thanks for the diagram. I don't know why, I'm just kind of stressing out cause I got a preamp type setup for a bass that I made and it ended up not working and I have only a couple days to finish it for my woods class as my final exam grade. What would you suggest I do as a 4 knob configuration with 2 pickups?

4. Muzoid

Muzoid

Feb 12, 2011
    Canada!
    If you do want to go 2 vol / 2 tones.

Look up and SG or Les Paul diagram at Seymourduncan.com and just bypass the 3 way switch.

5. No, the wiring with a pickup selector switch is usually such that the wiper terminals of the volumes are outputs. If you simply bypass the pickup selector switch without also rewiring the volumes, rolling either volume down all the way will kill both pickups.

6. VVT with either a killswitch, a series/parallel switch, a pickup selector switch, or a varitone.

7. Muzoid

Muzoid

Feb 12, 2011
    Canada!
    Oh yes, sorry (forgot about that)...my mistake.

ignore.

8. Muzoid

Muzoid

Feb 12, 2011
    Canada!
    +1

That what I have in 2 of my Jazz style basses...and it's an awesome setup.

9. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    If it's a passive setup you could do Volume/Blend/Varitone/Tone (varitone attenuation).
    I think I remember Line6man posting a diagram for the Varitone switch in another thread.

10. As a rotary toggle:
    4874322542_667acab818_o.
    Or, as a mini toggle switch:
    5013134368_3eb8f07ee3_o.
    (One position is bypassed. A third cap can be added to the unused terminal if desired.)