1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wndows 8.1

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P Town, Oct 18, 2013.

1. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Windows 8.1 has been released.
    It is a free update for Win 8 users.
    I get my internet via 4G signal, and it is a large download, so I may not be able to load it on my desktop machine. I will try to download it on the laptop by going to a WiFi spot. It may take quite a while that way.

Has anyone here tried it?

I see there are reports of people having problems downloading it.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Do you have touch screens? I tried 8 on my laptop. I don't have a touch screen. I went back to 7. However, I have played around with my brother's touch screen machine with 8. It is pretty cool in that situation.

3. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    No touch screen on the laptop.

I have a number of touch screen monitors for the desk top, but they are old industrial types, and they work, but the drivers apparently don't support the modern features on Win 8, so I don't use the touch feature much.

I am getting error 0x80240031 trying to download the update with my 4G connection.

I hope there will be an ISO image made available at some point, and I will download it at a wifi connection at a Starbucks, or similar place.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Same thing happened to a friend of mine. She couldnt do anything with 8 installed, said she.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I am in the final stages of the install on my Lenovo Twist now. I had no problems with Win8. I don't even miss the start button, but I didn't want to be behind, so I am installing it.

-Mike

6. Anyone else find it ironic that the title of this thread has a typo in it?

As for 8.1, I don't have a windows 8 machine so I will not be upgrading. Although, when I have used 8 (no touch screen), I found it rather easy to navigate and I think that I would really like it if I had a computer with it. The live tiles are a really good idea and lots of the touch stuff can be done with keyboard short cuts. Coming from a Mac, I love keyboard shortcuts.

lowsound

7. After 2 weeks, I'm a big fan of 8. Going to give 8.1 some more time to bake before I do the update though.

8. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Maybe the "eye" key on my keyboard doesn't work anymore.

9. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Except that "Windows" is the first word in your OP, and it is spelled correctly. There are also 20+ i's that follwo the first one.

:bag:

10. lakefx

lakefx

Sep 14, 2012
    Eugene
    I upgraded my wife's tablet yesterday. It went smoothly and was the easiest windows upgrade I've ever done. 8.1 is a very minor update from 8,but it fixes a few annoying details.

11. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Oh yeah. Well how do you spell follow?

Notyce, eye have not used any eyes.

Eyet's only to cover for lyeyeng about the eye key not working. Now Eye have to keep eyet up, or everyone weyell know, Eye was lyeyeng abut the eye key.

12. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    :D

13. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    #MatticusMania, #Burrrnnnn, #LOL