Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WOLF TONE OR NOT ???

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by triggerno9, Dec 12, 2005.

1. triggerno9

triggerno9

Sep 23, 2005
    HI THERE
    I'VE GOT ONE OF THE PALATINO EUB'S
    WHEN I PLAY AN OPEN 'G' AND A FEW OTHER NOTES (WHEN AMPLIFIED) I GET BAD VIBRATIONS, FROM MY TAILPIECE CAUSING FEEDBACK. IF I PUT MY HAND ON THE (CRAPPY)TAILPIECE IT ALL STOPS AND SOUNDS COOL (DIFFICULT TO DO WHILE PLAYING THOUGH!) WOULD A WOLF TONE ELIMINATOR STOP THIS PROBLEM. IF NOT ANY IDEAS ???
    CHEERS
    GUY

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Hi Guy, and welcome aboard.
    First let me suggest you to unlock your CAPS key, as writing all CAPS is akin to SHOUTING in the Net etiquette.
    Also, can you please take a minute and fill out your profile, including location?:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/profile.php?do=editprofile
    This will help us to help you!

As for your buzz problem, can you put a sponge or piece of fabric under the tailpiece?
    Or a piece of flexible rubber tubing intertwined between the strings, near the tailpiece?

Good luck!
    Regards,
    François

3. Sheraton

Sheraton

Sep 12, 2002
    KL, Malaysia
    Thanks guys in this forum to give us so much of info. I would like to share my exp about the Palatino.

I tied-up in between the crappy tailpiece with a long piece of felt. It helps to reduce the buzz. I tried a foam below the tailpiece but it doesn't help too much.

I changed the stock strings with flexocor stark E&A and original D&G (thanks francois for your advice). Installed a K&K BassMax on the E side. My Palatino sounds just like my double bass now. It was lacking in a bit of warmness and sustain but in a high volume situation it worths million.

I couldn't be happier.

4. triggerno9

triggerno9

Sep 23, 2005
    thanks i'm gonna put som eurosonics on it (when i get my spirocores delivered)
    think i'll fit my bass max to it aswell. would it be worth trying to wire the bass max into the palatino's pre amp
    what do you think ????
    cheers

5. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Unless the preamp's input impedance is high enough for piezo use (1 Megohm or more), this is not recommended.
    Plugging a piezo into a low impedance input results in a very thin nasal tone, with no bottom end.

6. Tha Palatino has an under-bridge piezo, so I'd assume the onboard preamp would be OK for any other piezo you connect to it.