Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wondering if I'm getting the run-around

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Feb 3, 2004.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've been attempting to get in contact with the owner of a local bar for a few weeks. Booking has never been my favorite part of the band experience, but it's a responsibility we all take. Every time I call, I'm given a curt answer of the owner not being present. I try calling when it's suspected he is there, but I'm always told he is not. (and I'm not given an expected time of when he will arrive) I'm starting to wonder if he is indeed present but has told his staff he doesn't want to take any calls. What would be the best way to get around this? The venue is about 45 minutes from my house, so just showing up wouldn't be a good idea.

2. joecarrr

joecarrr

Feb 1, 2004
    I suggest you roll up there and leave them a promo pack. There are so many crappy bands out there you should be able to understand why he dosen't want to take calls from ever johnny who calls there wanting to book a show. If you already gave them a promo pack, write a letter and ask if he got a chance to check out your stuff. He may have filed it and hasn't gotten a chance to check it out yet. Remind him. Good Luck

3. Is the actual owner of the club the guy who books the bands, Maybe ask for the entertainment manager/ co-ordinator or the duty manager. Find out whether they have e-mail and send some through. It is a endless struggle sometimes even if you are a good outfit. They are usually unorganised and don't know what they are doing from week to week, then they leave it to the last minute. I know mate. I have been organising our gigs for our band for 4 years, and you have to ride them sometimes. dont give up on him, try other venue while this joker makes up his mind. good luck :)

4. Venues

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Thanks for the info, guys. I've played this bar many times before in previous bands and he doesn't require promo packs as far as I know. (the owner is the booker of bands) He use to have a very good policy of always leaving a show open a month to give a new band a shot. It's just that I'm having trouble reaching him. (and he only does his booking once a week)

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Tell whomever is intercepting the owner's phone that "he/she is expecting a call from you."

If that "expecting" bit gets relayed to the owner, you can always say you told the person who first answered the phone that you said, "I HOPE they're expecting to hear from me."

If you've ever sent demos to recording companies, you know this is how the game is played. I've been in bands that have sent the same demo under different band names to try and get a listen.

By the by -- If you bring the owner a demo, put it in a large box that can't be stuffed away and forgotten in a typical desk drawer.

7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I follow the 80/20 rule:
    80% of your business comes from 20% of your clients, so put 80% of your effort into that 20%. This is just a general rule, and there are exceptions.

I would do as joecarrr said and go up there and try to get a face to face. He might remember your face from your previous encounters, but not your name or band name. I find that most bar owners/managers are around during the day to deal with vendors, or near closing time to tally up the day's receipts.

Even though the owner doesn't require a promo pack, give him something tangible to serve as a reminder for your band like a complimentary T-Shirt or CD. As they say, out of sight, out of mind.

Be careful with how much time you spend on obtaining this particular gig. Why spend more time than necessary to book a gig when that time could be spent booking different gig? Also, if you get on a owner/manager's bad side by being a nag, it could result in problems/lost opportunities for the future.

Good Luck

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Thanks for all of the good info, Jive. It's not really taking a lot of my time to get in contact, and I haven't been a nag at all. It's probaly one of the lowest paying bars in the area, but it's a bar that most fledgeling bands start at. Right now, we're just trying to get steady bookings (usually hard when you are a new band), and this is one of the bars we know we can get in since we dont' have a demo recorded yet. I like the idea of the large box for the demo. :D