1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wood/Body Question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassflyer19, Apr 14, 2009.

1. ok. so i have a bass that i want to take the finish off of. the look just isnt workin out for me. i would really like to just take it down to the wood for a natural look. my question is what would be the effects if i dont clear coat it or anything and just leave it as the wood? i figure it would be more succeptable to damage since the finish wont be there as a sort of protection, but ill deal with that. would it cause any other damage to the wood or would it be fine without the finish?

2. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    well, the wood would collect alot of oils everytime you touch it. and this is more prone in unfinished necks, but the body will shift with changes in humidity

3. powerbass

powerbass Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    the first fretless bass I made, I played it before finishing and I really like the sound - you could hear the wood. I then proceeded to use a spray lacquer finish which looked great. But when I reassembled the bass that nice wood tone was gone, so I decided to strip it and apply an oil finish. it's true thicker finishes protect better from abrasions. If you start w/well seasoned stable wood and if you keep it out of direct sun and away from wicked heat or really humid/damp conditions it should stay pretty stable.

4. powerbass

powerbass Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    Wood species makes a big difference on how stable the body will be. Some woods like mahogany can be extremely stable while others will cup. If the body blank is 1 piece 14" wide you may have cupping versus a 2-3 piece body blank. It depends on species and how long it has been drying/stored - longer drying means more stable

5. its a peavey patriot. i think about an '83. im assuming that it would be a multiple piece blank.

so it is alright to just strip it and leave it if stored correctly?

also, what is a good way to strip a bass?

6. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    An electric or orbital sander. Paint stripper (even the "good" stuff) sucks. Check the BB404 link in my sig. I used some nasty stripper and the little black and decker mouse sander destroyed it in much faster time

7. snatchman

snatchman

Nov 14, 2007
    SOT...Hello. I just picked up a Peavy Dyna-Bass ( 4 string, 3-band EQ in good shape..) that I want to do the same thing to.. It's painted black :)hmm:..) and I want to get it stripped back to the natural wood...I've never done it before so who up here is the best/available for this task..?....:D..

8. Pitbull Growl

Pitbull Growl

Jan 6, 2009
    NNJ/NYC