Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wooly Mammoth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bogart, Jul 20, 2004.

1. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    I'm looking into a Z Vex wooly Mammoth. People say they are too much, but I'm looking for something to give me guitar-like tone when I'm playin chords way up on the neck. Will this thing do it. Or will it just get over blown.

2. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Its a beefy fuzz... So you will not get the guitar sound you are looking for... A Fuzz Factory would do it... So would most other guitar fuzzes... They will thin out yout tone enough...

Alex

3. I'm really curious about the Wooly Mammoth too.

I just bougt an EBS Multi Comp and on the "Tubeism" setting, I can get my J-Bass + SVT Classic head to really growl like Timmy C. from Audioslave. Really beefy and tubey.

I've tried EQ pedals and Boost pedals in search of more dirt at lower volumes but nothing, until now could capture the tone I hear in my head.

Anybody have opinons on the Zvex Mammoth?
    Is it worth it?
    Does the dirt turn the signal to mud?
    Who can I listen to that uses one?

Thanks

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    chris, did you search? There's been LOTS of discussion on this pedal in the past.

It's an extreme fuzz, not necessarily to everyones tastes. It's certainly not a 'dirt' pedal - if you mean more grind you should look at overdrive pedals like fulltone, ebs multidrive, barber deep fryer, voodoo labs sparkle drive.

5. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
  6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The Wooly absolutely screams "try before you buy". I love mine, but many bassists HATE it. It's a FUZZ, which most people don't understand - they think it should sound like a distortion which is something completely different. Sounds like what you are looking for is a smoother tone than what the Wooly will give you.

7. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Strange, how does the Zvex Machine sound on bass? Do you use it in any of your songs?

8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I use it alot. It's my secret weapon. It's on The Severing Process, and the last half of Discipline.

9. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I hate you ben... :D

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    The feeling is mutual. :smug: