1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Word processors for Mac

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ben Lesser, Aug 18, 2007.

1. I just got a Macbook the other week and one of its main functions will be for notes and essays at school. It has a 30 day trial of Microsoft Word on it, but I'm not overly keen on the program (never have been, even on PC). I was rather disappointed to discover that the old version of Wordperfect for Mac doesn't work with the new Intel Macs...

So, basically I'm looking for a word processor. The cheaper, the better (free being ideal).

All it needs are adjustable margins, a spell check, and a word count. Not asking too much. :)

A grammar check would be considered a bonus. Although my grammar is fairly solid, it's always nice to know if I missed anything.

Just recommend away and let me know what's good (or, conversely, what's bad!). :D

Thanks!

2. I can't speak from experience but maybe OpenOffice would work for you.

3. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    Don't judge Microsoft Word for OSX based on the free trial. It is much more intuitive than the Windows version.

4. Eh. I'm still not overly keen on it.

However, if push comes to shove, I'll probably end up using it. However, it's not my first choice.

5. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

6. Oh, sweet!

I think you got it. :)

Thanks a lot!

7. Apple's own Pages, part of iWork, is pretty slick. Failing that, I find myself increasingly using WriteRoom - it's like typing on an old green-screen VDU terminal. Full-screen and distraction-free! :D

8. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Try Google Docs and Spreadsheets, Google's own word processor and spreadsheet function.

9. Abiword is available for mac. Much more lightweight than neooffice if all you need is a word processor.

www.abisource.com

10. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i use Pages but if i need to go to a more Word like environment i use OpenOffice.

11. froovs

froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    scotland
  12. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    NeoOffice works OK, but is SLOW... It's very usefull to have around, but I it's pretty clunky. OpenOffice is better but isn't very "Mac". It's GREAT on linux, and I'd recoemmend installing it (especially in Windows), but not very Mac.

Pages is definatly worth a look - there's probably a 30 trial installed (in the iWorks folder) or you can download. I haven't tried it, but the iWorks spreadsheet and presentation packages blow NeoOffice away. I'll be springing the £55 for a copy when it expires.

you don't say what your studying, but if its in any way technical then have a look at LyX. It's a front end for an older system (LaTeX for those in the know) that is used to write EVERY technical document in serious publications. It can do sectioning, maths and referencing (stuff you need for writing longer docs) in ways that blow everything else away - it feels clunky to work with at first, but the printed results are better than anything to come out anything else.

Ian