1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Working out in your 40s or older.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, Mar 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I need to get back to working out more. I'm not in "bad shape" per say. (6'2" 200 pounds +/- and 34-34 pants size). But I want to harden up a little and build more stamina for running/swimming/kayaking type activities.

What do you guys do? Sure, an easy answer is "the same thing a 19 year old would do". But there can be considerations that us forty and fifty somethings (and older) have to be aware of.

I have a Total Gym, a 35 pound kettle bell, a mountain bike, various dumbells, jump rope, a pool that I'll probably open in the next few weeks, etc. I probably don't have the lifestyle that would allow me to "swing by the gym" for an hour several times a week. Mostly my workouts would be after my young kids go to bed....around 8:00.

Bounce some things off of me. Thanks!

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    My main source of fitness is yoga - mostly of the power variety, but some relaxed flow type stuff too. That said, a 25 lb kettlebell can WHIP you into shape! (just be careful, I tore both my brachial tendons doing it)

3. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Thanks for jumping in. This may seem like a dumb question to someone who is really into it. But are there YouTube yoga routines or online stuff to check out or is that one of those things you need to start off with in person? I have a bonus room with rugs and whatnot. I can run my computer into the 46" TV and stereo so I could follow along from across the room. I think my wife actually has one of those rubbery yoga mats as well. I'm pretty open to trying whatever.

4. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

two fingers likes this.
  5. LeftyD

LeftyD Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Las Vegas
    Set up the total gym in the bonus room. My wife has that and does a couple of total gym routines on cds. The 45 minute one is pretty intense. Consistency over time is the way. Everyone knows that, though.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Joedog likes this.
  6. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    I'm 54. I keep it simple with basic compound movements that use multiple muscles at once. It's more efficient and also helps ensure that all muscles are trained. I basically break it down into 4 groups.

Group 1: upper body pushes...bench press, dumbbell press, pushups, etc.
    Group 2: lower body quad dominant...squats and lunges.
    Group 3: upper body pulls....chin-ups, pullups, rows, etc.
    Group 4: lower body hip/hamstring dominant...deadlifts and good mornings.

Day 1, group 1, day 2 group 2, and so on.

Then, on occasion I mix it up by doing farmer's walk with dumbbells up and down the stairs, or do a quick workout of alternating 5 chin-ups and 10 pushups every minute. In 10 minutes that adds up to 50 chin-ups and 100 pushups.

craigie, repoman and two fingers like this.
  7. You pretty well have everything there that you could use for a fitness program.

Things that will kill a fitness program:-

(1) Amount of time to do it. People get into these mega -programs where they have to take everything to the extreme. Long energy draining programs and they're in the gym 6 times a week because they (a) think that more is better and (b) no pain no gain. Both myths.

(2) If you work out to where you are always in pain (DOMS..Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) you will get tired of walking around like a recovering zombie eventually.

(3) You get fit to live. Not live to get fit.

(4) Do you need to be able to benchpress 300lbs and squat 450 for everyday life? Didn't think so. Me neither. But I (and obviously you) both want to be "in shape" and fit.
    There was a time when I wanted to look like Arnold. But the older we get the harder it is to achieve.

I hoisted iron for years. Nowadays I'm into:-

(1) Firstoff, exercises that don't keep me tied up for over an hour at a time doing a session.
    (2) More focus on heart health and cardio with some lifting thrown in.

I had a deluxe Total Gym for a time (the one that takes weights). Great machine and you can do a lot with it.
    I have a set of those adjustable dumbells that go from 5 to 52.5 lbs each. Great for numerous exercises.
    Still have bars and weights if I want to lift. But I often use the plates alone as exercise tools.
    Have a stackplate "universal" type gym that goes to 210 lbs and can do multi exercises.
    Various other ex devices such as chin bar etc etc. and eliptical.
    Half of my basement is a gym.

I like to try and set up where I do exercises with no rest in between. Sort of a HIIT circuit. This gets the heart rate and metabolism up. If you wait to recover between exercises the metabolic effect isn't as good.

I am always looking to keep it simple but effective, short but sweet. Exercising maybe every other day or every third day. And not exercising to exhaustion or failure.
    Exhaustion and failure exes are hard on the Central Nervous System if one doesn't plan the right "recovery" and nutrition.

Standing exercises are better than sitting exercises and isolation exes for fitness.

Compound exes are better than isolation exercises for fitness.

If you want to build stamina for running...then you need to run.

Ditto for swimming.

Hope I don't sound "preachy" or longwinded here. Just throwing in a few thoughts.

Cheers :thumbsup:

8. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    "Good morning" is a verb? :D

What is that?

9. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    No, not at all. Good stuff. In fact you reminded me that my neighbor has the "stack plate" machine in his (always unlocked) shop and told me I could use that whenever I wanted too.

Thanks for the tips.

10. A "good morning " is sort of a hybrid semi bent-over barbell exercise. Be careful with those if you decide to do them. You can screw your back up in nothing flat with the wrong technique.

Technique and proper form is everything in lifting iron especially deadlifts and squats.

You can do do it wrong for ages and then one day it all catches up with you. Then you're injured and out of service.

Good Morning:-

Barbell_Good_Morning_M_WorkoutLabs.

two fingers likes this.
  11. Stop using the equipment you already have as a clothes hanger and use it. :smug:

Go over when he is also working out and do it together. If you are not self motivated having a partner will help challenge each other.

two fingers likes this.
  12. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I've been a gym rat off and since high school in the '80s. I went on a two year splurge back in 2012 and 2013 and got strong but I would injure myself (in small ways almost constantly) so stopped doing heavy weights. Stopped everything actually for longer than I should have. 6'1" and 275 right now and used to be fit enough to race mountain bikes. Although I'm still pedalling on my mag trainer in the basement to be fit enough to ride recreationally, I was missing the gym. A buddy turned me on to this: www.darebee.com "open source fitness" - I'm currently doing the 30 Days of Gravity program. It's pretty challenging since it's based on body weight. It's working out well and I'm not injuring myself even though I'm trying to recover from an Achilles injury ( from doing something else).

Edit - 6'1" not 6'11"!!!

Aleksandar and two fingers like this.
  13. I do pushups. But I only do maybe 15 or 20 and then throw a set of machine bench press on top of it. (2 sets of 5 reps).

Sets of 2 and sets of 5 are strength reps. Sets of 10 and sets of 12 are bodybuilding reps.

I see no point in being able to do scores of pushups. Like some people that brag "I can do 200 pushups yadda yadda". If you do that many , it isn't a strength exercise any more..it's just endurance. Doing that many pushups doesn't increase your push strength much exponentially. It just means you can do lots of that exercise at the same unchanging weight resistance.

two fingers likes this.
  14. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    I agree. Technique is everything with lifting...I've never hurt myself lifting, and I think a lot of it has to do with ensuring that I use good form every time. It's not about lifting weight, it's about building muscle.

two fingers likes this.
  15. I don't do all the exes in this video. But there's one at 4:56 that I do that is a very good overall ex and you don't need a ton of weight to do it.

I first saw this particular ex on a Randy Couture workout vid.

I do a variation where you start off with the dumbells down by the floor ( knees bended) and then lift to overhead, being careful to keep the elbows angled forward somewhat.
    But it all comes up and down again in a straight lift-line from the floor. Keeping the dumbells close to the body.

This ex uses a lot of muscle simultaneously. Gets the ticker pumping.

two fingers likes this.
  16. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i'm gonna be 43 in 7 days

beer gut reduction program
    70-80 pushups
    160 stomach crunches
    60-90 min. dog hiking
    wear a 25 pound camera gear backpack when i go to photograph deer and birds

two fingers likes this.
  17. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    This is what I do. Jog with my dog and then do some kettlebell 2 or 3 times a week.

I think that with the right exercise program you can improve your posture. Then rehearsals and gigs actually strengthen my core and become part of that virtuous cycle rather than something which kills your back.

two fingers and ZenG like this.
  18. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Agreed - I was at the point where I was squatting and benching some big weights and reps - but to what end if I kept injuring myself? What kills me right now with the Achilles injury is that walking is painful! Cycling is no problem, though - it;s just the discipline to get myself on the bike (in the basement, still a couple of feet of snow on the ground here).

Hence the bodyweight isometric stuff I'm doing - plus a bit of yoga-like stuff. As in it's like yoga, but I'm horrible at it!

This is the program I'm on:

30 Days of Gravity

two fingers likes this.
  19. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I will definitely check it out. Thanks.

DirtDog likes this.
  20. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I do crossfit with guys from 22-50 plus. It's not for everyone, but I read your list of gear and immediately thought - "I could do some amazing WOD's with that equipment". Here is an example, assuming you are in a garage and can do quick runs as well :

15 kettlebell swings
    30 double unders or 90 singles
    10 burpees
    200 meter run

4 rounds for time - this is a 20 minute workout (for many in shape, it's roughly 12-15 minutes).

It will most likely be too much at first. But if you really want to get in shape, don't have a ton of time or gear, you can't beat this type of stuff. You can google all kinds of WODs that you can do (try hotel WODs for example).

two fingers likes this.