1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Worth modding my old bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jarod scorr, May 17, 2017.

1. One of my old basses is an Ashton, its basically a fender P bass rip off, do you think that it would be worth modding it with some new pickups new bridge etc?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Worth what to whom?

3. amphlett7

amphlett7

Feb 27, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    Audiofly
    I had one of those cheapy Ashton bass kits when I first started (It was transparent blue, IIRC) snd it was a pretty okay instrument.

If you get on Facebook and join one of the Bass Gear trade/sell/buy groups in Australia you should be able to pick up a set of pickups and maybe a bridge second hand.

What don't you like about it is the biggest question?

4. the bass itself isnt that bad, its just the bridge and the tuners are rusting away and one of the tuners are a bit broken

5. franklindayala

franklindayala

Feb 8, 2015
    PERÚ
    If the bass hass sentimental value for you . Keep it and make the necessary changes to it. If not, sell it and look for something else that you love.

6. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    If it owes you nothing, and you have other instruments to use, then why not modify it?

7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Yes.

8. Signalsdrone

Signalsdrone

Feb 6, 2017
    SW Ontario
    Turn it into a bit of a project. Replace the rusty stuff, add a cool pup and paint it / refinish it how you like.

Make it your own and have fun. :)

LowNloud1 likes this.
  9. LowNloud1

LowNloud1

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I see an opportunity to experiment with modifications. Hi-ratio tuners. Hi mass bridge. Higher end pups. Neck nuts from different materials. Go for it!

10. amphlett7

amphlett7

Feb 27, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    Audiofly
    Then definitely do it!

I can't recommend Best Bass Gear enough for parts. They ship to Australia for free on orders over US$100.
    I bought some pickups and a Hipshot Kickass bridge, made a great difference.

11. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I can absolutely state there might be a possibility.

12. Mod it. Stick an Entwistle PBXN pickup in it,scare the birds in the trees as that'll triple the output:thumbsup:
    I can't buy the PBXN in the UK just now but eBay tells me there's a stock in Australia.

Better to mod it and enjoy it than sell it for peanuts.