1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would You Like to Know When You Die?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    37.1%
  3. I'm immortal

19 vote(s)
    27.1%
  4. Carrot Cake

5 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Just curious:
    If you were given the opportunity to know the exact date of your eventual death (without having the power to change it), would you want to know?

2. Voted immortal.

If it was tomorrow then i wouldn't want to know. If it was 33 years from now then...eh...I would be ok with that.

3. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG!

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    You didn't have a don't care option so i voted immortal.

4. Well, it would certainly help with the financial planning. I could spend all my money and rack up a huge credit card debt right before the end. And why not have a big "going away" party? Paid for with credit, of course. I vote yes.

5. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    I voted yes.
    I think this would give more importance to my life ; it would maybe give me the little thing I need to go on.

6. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    An friend of mine knew the exact date and time he would die.

A judge told him.

:ninja:

:bag:

:D

7. I'd rather have it come as a surprise to me.

8. RestInPieces

RestInPieces

Jun 14, 2009
    I'm not gonna' die, so why bother :eyebrow:

You want to hear my plan. Lemmy is immortal, right? (At least it seems so :meh:) I'm gonna' steal one of his Ricks, cos that's where all his super powers are. Endless HP. :ninja: :D

9. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    First thing that came to my mind too. I'd really feel bummed about dedicating so much time to debt repayment, retirement planning, flossing, etc.

I don't think I'd want to know though, it'd take the "fun" out of death.:meh:

10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I voted yes. I dont know if I'd want to know the exact date, but maybe at what age.

11. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    I vote yes if it was in a few years.

But if it was 40 years from today then I don't want to know. I already know folks die of old age. Don't tell me the day I die is that far away, it will take the fun out of knowing.

12. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Voted yes. I could take up all sorts of dangerous but enjoyable activities, then rack up a huge CC bill for the final party, but take out massive amounts of life insurance a couple of months before.

13. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    If it is soon,I'd like to know so that I could say **** off to everything and live a little bit at least.

If it's not soon,I don't want to know.I'll keep building my life up.

14. No. I think it would take all the joy out of life. All I'd be doing is sitting there counting the seconds.

15. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    I'm a chronic procrastinator when I have a specific due date for anything. If I knew when I was gonna die, I'd keep putting off doing anything with my life because I still had time :meh:. So no, I would hate to know when I'd go.

16. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    It wouldn't matter. The only person who could know with any certainty when I am going to die, is some kind of murderer. And if they tipped their hand to me, I'd turn them in to the police or otherwise defend myself. On the other hand if somebody promised me a long life, I could still die in an accident. I already know as much as anybody else about my projected lifespan, simply based on probabilities.

17. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    I voted yes because I wish to be informed of my demise.

18. ubado

ubado

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    I, like Dick Clark, am immortal. :ninja:

19. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Of course no. The whole value of life lies in this ignorance of your future.

20. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    I'm guessing that the question was intended to be interpreted as if the universe were deterministic and the future predictable. (i.e. it's just a movie...) Given that (hopefully counterfactual) premise, would you rather know or be ignorant?

Maybe - though maybe it could be also considered to be in what you create and leave behind.