Would you rather...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Jul 16, 2004.

1. be able to play fast technical lines very well in your band situation (a-la wooten etc)
    or be able to play mellow, extremely grooving lines very well in your band situation(mike gordon, stefan lessard, adam clayton)

And I mean, like, mastering either. You might be able to passably play one of them, but that's not what I'm talking about. More in a live setting.

disregard this post if you already do either.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    How about faking it for all you're worth and managing to convince the audience you're not actually faking it? I want that option.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

...creating lines with tones that move people emotionally and embellish their appreciation of life, if only for a minute.
  4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I'd rather wear my bass at knee-level and give it repeated open-fisted slaps.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I would rather be able to play whatever the song and situation called for, and play it well.
  6. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Who wouldn't? :D

I saw a guy do this the other night. It was all about looking cool except he could hardly reach a lot of the notes and so it didn't look as cool as it was supposed to.
    That's all I will say because he might be a fellow TB'r.
  7. Good answer. ;)

If I had to choose one, it would be a slow, deliberate groove, as the bassline would be played in a mellow Latin ballad. Where the bass IS NOT is just as important as where the bass IS. I used to be into shred, not anymore.

Examples later. ;)

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Mellow groove. I dig the fast technical thing, but there's enough shredders out there -- but you can never have too much grooooove.
  9. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I would rather play what I want, and PLAY stuff that means something to other people, and have my playing in the front, and singing.

(good luck finding that)
  10. I opt for choice #2, though as of lately my technical abilities have been overpowering my musicality :(. Time to get the Bass Grimoire...
  11. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    It's all in the groove, IMO.
  12. bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    i love playing fast, impresses chicks, although chicks get into that mellow soothing crap...... hmm :meh: i say tossup, depends on the chick

i love women :D
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I still vote for fakin' it.
  14. +1 for faking it.

I want to get famous from the ***** thing so bass is just a hobby right now :cool: