Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WOW! My New Aguilar DB750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Carey, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    I'm hooked!

I borrowed an Aguilar DB750 and GS112 for the NAMM show and that dang rig has been haunting me ever since. So, I finally went ahead and got one for my "reference" rig. (I still have to sell off some other combo's to justify this to my wife . ;) )

All I can say is DAMN! This is the warmest, cleanest, punchiest, etc. amp I have ever heard. The sound coming out of this thing with the controls set flat is unreal. Fat doesn't even begin to describe it. Some may say that it's a "colored" sound. Well, to them I say, "what's wrong with a little color?" This thing is awesome!

So, anyone else use this setup? What do you think? I realize it's a bit heavy, but it's not moving much the way I'm using it.

Ok, gotta go play some more! :bassist: :bassist: :hyper:

(BTW, I still have and love the Read Purity and I'm using it as a recording preamp. It's actually at a friend's studio for a while...)

2. I don't have the DB 750, but I have the DB 659 preamp, so I basically get the same sound. I also have a GS 112, although I've been using my Bergantino 112 more recently. It's definitely an amazing sounding amp. I never touch the controls on mine. It's always wet flat. It just sounds perfect. sure it's colored, but in a good way. It makes crappy sounding basses sound decent, and great basses sound even better. I can hardly imagine a more perfect preamp.

3. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    congratulations!

what about your truck? ;)

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I got one of the first DB750s when they came out and used it with two GS112s. Sounded absolutely amazing. But, when your guitar player is pushing a whopping 6 1/2 watts, a 70 lb rack doesn't make much sense. :D

So, I sold it. If I had someone else to move the dang thing after a three hour gig, I'd still have the DB750, though.

Congrats!

5. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    You want my truck Christoph? I'll give you a great deal on it!
    It's still got a load for the dump in it. After it gets emptied it's gone.

I do wish the fans on this thing weren't so loud. I may have to put it in a rack just to divert some of the fan noise...

6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I tried the DB 750 through a Whappe Grande (I think) and it was an amazing amp! The sheer sound pressure levels it can generate are frightening! Congrats!! Oh and there is nothing wrong with a little color! :bassist:

7. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    Carey, I must admit, when you wrote "I'm going to sell my truck so I can buy one of those Aguilar rigs." in one of your mails I really wasn't sure whether you were joking or not. Really seemed like a viable option to me.

Regarding "the color": I believe that the whole "clean flat hi-fi sound" thing that ran at Talkbass some time ago was just one of those trends that come up periodically. Just like every now and then, people start discussing whether Sadowskys are handmade or "high-end boutique" basses are really worth it.
    Or "how to get the most punch". Suddenly everybody wants a 7-string. Or asks what the 5/6/7th strings are good for. From time to time, threads that are closely related to each other begin popping up. The topic is discussed and left alone for a few months. Then it all starts again.

All in all I think that there's nothing wrong with "colored sound", if it's a "good color". I must admit that I went with a Read Purity, but Aguilar definitely was considered.

For what it's worth: One thing I didn't like at all when trying out amps was a Glockenklang Soul run totally flat through a Glockenklang Take Five 4x10. Maybe it sounded only "blue" or "grey". ;)

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    :eek:

that sounds like a fun rig.

and yea, uncolored is just state of mind. no biggie. if the aguilar rocks, let it rock for you. ;)

9. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I looked it up and it was the regular El Whappo I tried. I get the accugroove cabs confused. The DB 750 lit the speaker up! It is a fine amp to be sure. I wish I needed one and had the $$$ to spend! :D

10. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    The 750 is an EXCELLENT choice & is one of the ones at the top of the list when I recommend amps to go with our cabinets. Good choice Carey!

Mark
    AccuGroove.com

11. Even though it's "colored" I think the Aguilar actually sounds quite natural because it's very clean. the "color" is really just the added warmth and the dimension that the tubes give. There's certaintly nothing wrong with that.

12. That's awesome, Carey! Glad to hear that you have a big time rig to really rock with.

13. I agree with this 110%. If I wanted just to amplify my bass, why not just only use a DI? What's the point of an amp, even? I like having my tone and sound altered a bit by my amplification. Otherwise I wouldn't spend the kind of money that Mesa and Aguilar gear demand.

14. boo

boo

Oct 12, 2002
    Netherlands
    Congrats with the best sounding amp ever !! :hyper: :hyper:

my rig with the DB750

[​IMG]

15. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Ahh, you have the same setup, but I have the 410! How do you like the 212 on the bottom?

And Carey, welcome to the dark side :D

16. boo

boo

Oct 12, 2002
    Netherlands

Like it alot ,more punch and bottom then the GS115. It's soundzz amazzzzing :bassist: :bassist:

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    sweeeeeeet rig, boo... :cool: