Wow.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by waltdogg, Jan 16, 2015.

1. waltdogg

waltdogg

May 24, 2014
    Thinking about going and picking this up.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/4828340640.html

No money talk. I should just take this thing and run if I can get it from the seller, right? I don't usually see B-15s in much better condition. I notice that it has a SS instead of tube rectifier. Anything up with that?

BALTOBASS likes this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    You can pretty much count on it being a fixer-upper, but I'd be sorely tempted, yes indeedy. It's a mid-60's B-15NF, 30w, single baffle cab. The SS rec is an add-on that some folks do to tighten them up a little, and it's a drop-in replacement so you can easily switch back to a 5AR4 if you choose. Now, would I yell "Shut up and take my money" at the guy? If it makes sound, I definitely would consider it. If not, we might have to talk.

waltdogg likes this.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It's a great deal!

From what I can see, there are a few things up.
    Casters were added to the bottom, dolly is missing. Fixable.
    Solid state rectifier, pull it and install a tube. No modifications needed.
    Transformers are original. Often the power transformer is blown. If the winding for the heater is shot, they would install the SS module.
    Chassis is in very good condition. This is all you need for a restoration, everything else is available.
    No mention of what speaker is in the cab.
    There is no speaker cable coming out the back of the chassis. The amp will not work as is.
    Side handles installed on the cabinet. Fixable.
    The blue check tolex is no longer available. If you wanted to recover it, other vinyls are available.
    It could be a 25W eyelet board model. I see what looks like a board mounting screw on top of the chassis.
    Tube cage and threaded mounts are missing. Available from fliptops.

4. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    If they're working, it has the right transformers. Grab.

5. Great deal if it turns on and makes bass.

nuhckes8 likes this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    On my amp bucket list. Hope it works out for you!

7. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    For $500 I would grab that rig in a heartbeat. The head and cabinet were definitely paired later in their lives. As Jimmy said, it's a mid 60s single baffle cabinet. The head though appears to be one of the very early B15Ns, based on the lack of a cap can and the position of the speaker cord hole high on the back of the chassis.

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Just make sure that you go into it anticipating that the amp might need a new transformer. As is, it's a non working amp. You might get lucky but it's still a very good deal.

Vintage-Blue likes this.
  9. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    I got a '67 in need of repair for $700 a few years ago. I ended up putting another $500 into it and trading it off like a fool. Either way, I'd buy that in an instant at that price.

10. waltdogg

waltdogg

May 24, 2014
    I'll keep that in mind.

Yeah I would be a fool to flip this amp if it didn't work right off the bat or if it needs work no reason to sell after restoring. The intrinsic value on these bad boys is way too high for regrets like that.

Just waiting for a reply from the seller if they'll take a trade or if I gotta flip some gear/take a loan from the bank-o-dad.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  11. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    do it!

grab it and bring it back to life, looks like a player!

12. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Qfom17E.gif

Pentatonic and friendlybass like this.
  13. JFOC

JFOC

Oct 23, 2010
    new hampShire
    Run, dont walk

14. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    02e.jpg

15. waltdogg

waltdogg

May 24, 2014
    I love y'all sometimes.

16. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

Snatch it up.

17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

Whataya mean, "sometimes"??????

:woot:

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021