Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sonorous, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX

It's the fact that it has a larger ranger than a grand piano that stuns me.

14.2 hz. I think the only reason he didn't go lower is because any listeners would have bowel trouble. :smug:

I also think it's neat that they had to invent a new bridge just to get that high string on there.

This site has lots of stuff on it... I just wanted to focus on the bass... which is why I put it in the basses section.
  2. wow, more range than a grand piano...damn. it looks like that thing could definitely hit the brown note, heh.
  3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
  4. Kamelion

Jun 6, 2005
    Cambourne, UK
    That's just silly.

And yet, strangely, I want one.
  5. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Pardon me for being an old fuddy-duddy, but I have a hard time envisioning an instrument with a greater range than a grand piano being referred to as a bass. Then again, I only play 4-string so what do I know.
  6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Garry and his basses have actually been discussed at length here already. There should be some old threads lying around.
  7. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Well, I kind of agree with you. But at what point does it stop becoming a bass, and start to become a whole different instrument?

I'm not saying anything is wrong with it though.
  8. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    o god not this issue again! someone dig up the 20 page thread about this for everyone else here...
  9. SWEET!!!

I love it when people are pushing the boundries a little...or in this case...ALOT!!!

Less is more?? I dont think so!
  10. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Isn't 14hz too low for a human to hear?
  11. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX

But then again, there are a lot of bass cabs that don't even produce the sound of a low B, yet you still hear it.

I asked a question about that a while back in a different forum on TB. The answer I got was that the human ear will still hear the harmonic overtones, even if it doesn't hear the fundamental. Then the brain just fills in the blanks.
  12. That thing gives me carpal tunnel just looking at it.

On the bright side, it's probably mighty useful for ironing clothes on its' off days :D
  13. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    The lowest we can hear is like 16 - 18 hz. We might be able to hear it, although finding a cab would be a trouble.

That is getting a little crazy......

8 Strings is enough.
  14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU

Is it just me, or do you also think that Garry looks small compared to that beast :eek: :smug:
  15. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts

??? :scowl: ??? :scowl: ??? :scowl: ??? :scowl: ??? :scowl: ??? :scowl: ??? :scowl: ??? :scowl: ??? :scowl: ??? :scowl: ??? :scowl: ??? :scowl: ??? :scowl: ??? :scowl:
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

For you maybe. But obviously not for some people. Why does it matter what somebody else feels that they need to fully express themselves?
  17. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I suspect Leo Fender was met with much skepticism upon the introduction of his electric "Precision" bass...and his invention turned out quite well. Putting boundaries and limitations on the art of making music is lame. If this guy is creating and can play the thing, I say rock out, brother! Just for the record, it's not my cup of tea and I don't have the skills to play it, but I sure wouldn't mind hearing somebody else do it! :)