1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wrist angle

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by progmanjum, May 13, 2011.

1. progmanjum

progmanjum

Feb 17, 2009
    I can understand not wanting your wrist at a side to side angle, but how about a up and down angle? Mine is usually at an arch. Is this potential trouble?

2. Metal Bassist

Metal Bassist

Nov 6, 2010
    Wales, UK
    Which hand? If you don't feel any pain and can hold down/pluck the strings well then it it probably fine.

3. progmanjum

progmanjum

Feb 17, 2009
    Sorry. I was talking about my plucking hand.

4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "side to side" or "up and down" angle, but ideally both wrists should be as straight as possible.

5. miltslackford

miltslackford

Oct 14, 2009
    generally i try and keep wrists straight - don't know if this helps..

6. The human wrist is engineered to tolerate a certain amount of angle, maybe about 20º or so. What you don't want is to set the wrists at a severe angle and leave it like that for an extended period of time. That will lead you to all sorts of problems, like tendonitis or carpal tunnel syndrome. Ideally, both wrists should be straight, and that's a function of how you hold your bass. Study these picture and you'll know what I mean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    You don't want too much of an angle...

When I was 13-14, I ended up getting a Cyst in my right wrist from my tendons rubbing too much while my wrist was at an angle.. I went to a doctor specifically for musicians and he watched how I was playing... He told me to lower my bass a little and hold my arm up so there is less of an angle.

I took this pic for a nother thread, but this is the most angle I try to allow in my right wrist.
    lh1.

8. progmanjum

progmanjum

Feb 17, 2009
    In all three pics the arm is resting on the bass in some fashion. Is this proper technique as well?

9. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    It depends on the bass...

Some basses that have smaller bodies, you shouldn't be resting your arm on the bass. In some cases the body is just too small your wrist is forced at a harsher angle.

On the Jazz Bass above, I rest on the bass.
    My Ken Smiths, I rest on the bass.

My MTD535 however, my arm does NOT rest on the bass. When it does, it is uncomfortable to me. But I also use that bass mainly for Slap style...

The way my bass lays, it is kind of at a tilted up angle already.

The picture kind of exaggerates the angle of my wrist. This picture shows how it lays, although the picture is at kind of a funny angle... but I think you can get the idea...

IMG_0038.

10. progmanjum

progmanjum

Feb 17, 2009
    Thanks for all the info (and pics) guys.

11. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Resting the arm is about pressure, if your bass leaves a mark or lasting line on your forearm then to much pressure is being applied.

A lasting line will go away depending on the age and health of the user, but if you are applying that much pressure certain problems will occur with the Ulnar nerve and the ring and little finger.

12. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    My wrist is almost flat, and my arm doesn't always rest on the bass, and lightly when it does.