1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wrist pain after fretless 5 string transition

Discussion in 'Ask the Berklee Bass Department' started by Zoi, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Zoi

Zoi

Jan 8, 2017
    so ive just acquired a lush 5 string fretless fender jazz after years of playing a 4 string fretted precision. im loving playing it, except it has been giving me hand and wrist pain in my fretting hand. i suspected that it could be to do with me reaching further with my finger spacing in order to actually hit the fret marks dead on and keep a finger per fret position, but even after accomodating for this and keeping my fingers closer together my wrist still aches. i have noticed that the neck is thinner. has anyone experienced pain after playing a thinner neck? or indeed after transitioning to a fretless or a 5 string? i really want to keep it but don't know if it is good for me! I have roundwounds on it which is a lot less strenuous than the flatwounds it came with, but still having aches! The action is nice and low

2. Sandro Scoccia

Sandro Scoccia

Sep 13, 2013
    Zoi,
    never play under pain. It is the signal that something is not ok with your playing posture.
    In my experience, many of the physical problems are due to some incorrect body posture. So my recommendation would be for you to look up for a physical therapist that has experience with musicians. You may also do a Google search for Randall Kertz, Randall Kertz | Facebook, he has a youtube channel and many books out. Try to reach him out. He maybe able to help. Best and stay healthy!
    Sandro