1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Writing Dark Sounding Indie Basslines

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by christopantz, Feb 12, 2016.

1. christopantz

christopantz

Sep 16, 2015
    Hi everyone. For the past year I've had immense trouble writing music that I am proud of. I don't know what it is. I'm not calling it writers block just because its been going on for so much longer than writers block has ever gone on for me. The stuff I want to write is the fast but dark and foggy stuff, Doused by DIIV comes to mind, but I'm having so much trouble writing anything at all. Does anyone have any ideas or tips?

2. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Aeolian or Phrygian modes?

Minor chords... maybe hit the flat 5th tritone once in a while if you want to play the Devil note. Doesnt get much darker and dissonant than that.

DeaconBlues09 likes this.
  3. Yes one of the minor modes. Lets not forget about Locrian (R-b2-b3-4-b5-b6-b7) it gives a dark and tense sound so a one chord vamp - of your viidim chord - (R-b3-b5-b7) as a drone chord with the Locrian mode providing melody notes will give you what you want. Someone will have to play Locrian while you drone the R-b3-b5-b7 chord tones of the vamp chord.

Or someone pedals the chord as a vamp while you draw melody from the Locrian mode. Either way will work, i.e. harmony coming from the viidim chord's droning effect and the melody coming from the Locrian mode notes. Who plays what I leave to you.

Try that and see if it helps. Modes are played different than tonal center music. In a nut shell; modes drone on, they do not automatically resolve to the tonic I chord. Here is a short paper on using modes.
    This page first Modal Harmony
    Then go here Modes of the Major Scale
    Then this page Modal Harmony

Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    DeaconBlues09 likes this.
  4. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Don't ever practice, and don't ever learn what you're playing, and you'll sound indie.

5. northbynorth

northbynorth Ampeg Portaflex Club #410. Strymon Bass Club #6

Feb 27, 2014
    Southern CA
    Go to some shows and search out new bands.

6. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Learn songs that sound like you want to sound.

I never heard of DIIV so I googled them

Sound very much like early 80's Cure
    simple 8th note picked bass, lots of reverb on the guitars

Can you play the song you site?
    If you want to sound like something, learn that something first.
    Find many songs that exemplify what you want to song like, and get to learning.
    Not just the bass line: learn the chords, learn the vocals.
    For every 10 or so that you learn, try writing your own.

There are chords, scales, and theory that can be interpreted as "dark"
    but pick them up as you go. The context is equally important.
    Learn songs that sound like you want to sound.

christopantz likes this.