Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

X-Audio

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anotherbassist, Nov 9, 2003.

1. has anyone every had one of these or tried them out? The description says they sound as good as much higher priced cabs. Any way im gonna need a 1x15 for my rig cause im getting a five string and i have a 4x10 and thers are like $50 go to
    steelsound.com to look

thanks

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Stay away from their cabs. They are just a marketing scheme to sell Madison cabs. Just get an Avatr CB115 and you'll be fine.

3. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    anotherbassist> yeah I have their 210. I was looking for another 210 that would fit in the trunk of my small car, and it came down to either that or the Hartke Transporter. :rolleyes:

Does it sound as good as "some" higher priced cabs? Sure, but IMO there are a lot of expensive cabs that don't sound good. This doesn't sound good either - I would never use it for a gig. But it's loud, handles 400 watts, fits in my trunk, and at that price I can just leave it at someone's house for practice and don't worry about it getting messed up. And I don't miss it because I have other better cabs.

Steel Sound's customer service was actually pretty good. The first one came in damaged and they sent a replacement right away. When the 2nd one came in at the wrong impedance (not what I ordered) they told me to just keep it and sent another one. So they wound up giving me two for the price of one.

Hey, for $50 it's a 15 cab. Just don't expect it be "good". And be careful with the particle board, it flakes easily so you can't re-thread any screws that may come out.

Whether or not a 15 will handle your B-string is another issue, there are many expensive 15's that still won't do a good job with the lower frequencies.

Ok, now to The 0x. What's your beef with SteelSound/Xaudio? Did you just copy and paste your last post where you jumped down their throats?

Consider the following:

1) you've never tried the X Audio
    2) you've never tried the Madison
    3) the price of X Audio is targeted at a different market than Madison
    4) the majority of your posts are "brand X is crap", or "stay away from brand X"
    5) you're only 15 and don't know sh*t

so STFU!!! [​IMG]

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    1a) yes I have tried X-audio. My friend is the bassist of Chancing Tomorrow, and he's using an X-audio 410 that is loud but frankly doesn't sound great.
    1b) I have an email from Mr. Steelsound saying in a nutshell that the X-audio cabs are basically on the site to sell more Madison cabinets
    2) I've seen local bands around here use them, and they sound like a wet fart (in my opinion)
    3)NO KIDDING
    4)You noticed? Now you've hurt my feelings. :bawl: I'm just trying to keep the world away from bad tone. :p But if you have a different opinion on a certain brand, by all means, don't change you're opinion of that brand because of my little posts. Take them with a grain of salt, as you should with other people's opinions of a certain thing.
    5)If you think i don't know sh*t, then don't listen to me. I'm not going to get all upset over the fact you've ignored me.

5. I've got to go with Ox on this one... while the X Audio is dirt cheap, it's too cheap for its own good. I cannot believe that as a bassist you'd be happy with it.

On the other hand, the Avatar, while not near as inexpensive, is a bargain. It too may not be everyones "cup of tea", but I bet you'd be much happier with your tone.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    X-Audio is crap.

Stay away from X-Audio.

I'm 32 by the way.

-Mike

7. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Hey Jon, I never said I was happy with the X Audio - I said it was cheap and loud and fits in my trunk. As a matter of fact I'm thinking of trying an Avatar 2x10 next.

8. srbguitar

srbguitar Guest

Jul 19, 2002
    Fremont CA
    the above posts are correct
    i have a 2x15 x audio cabinet and i was not happy at all with the tone that i got from it. it work great as a car stereo subwoofer though.
    when i used this in my rig there was a frequency gap in the sound, the x-audio has no mid range at all just lows. also i took took the speakers out to check what they were and how big the magenet was, and they are nothing near the quality that Avatar uses, the Avatars are a much better deal even though they might be a little more expensive, but then again you get what you pay for.