1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Xotic J Bass Upgrades

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Dec 6, 2011.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  2. Ooh... 24-fret! Nice!

John Pena is awesome! I always enjoy his videos. Thanks, Jauqo.

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    You're very welcome.

4. idoker

idoker Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    Very nice! I haven't had the pleasure of playing one yet, but am looking forward to it. Thanks for the info, Jauqo III-X.

5. InHarmsWay

InHarmsWay

Apr 14, 2009
    Lowell,MA
    Eden Electronics Artist
    These are some great videos. I love the sound. Any bass company that demonstrates their flaws, and shows how they improve something really shows dedication to quality.

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I totally agree.

I was having problems with single coil hum and I was back and forth with Xotic. and to be honest I was going to let them know that if the single coil hum issue wasn't fixed that I was going to stop using the basses. I just could not take the hum.

The single coil hum when the pickups are soled is a bit to much.

Time goes by and Xotic reaches out to tell me about a hum reduction system that they came up with.

Sent my basses in and all is great now. There is no single coil hum and their is no tonal loss at all.

I was blown away to say the least.

7. anezthes

anezthes

Oct 18, 2010
    I like the presentation and the system seems interesting. His (Pena's) voice and the way he talks kind of reminds me of Wooten.

8. voodoobassist

voodoobassist Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Tulsa , OK
    Just sent payment for my first xotic xj-1t,....can't wait for it to get here! :hyper:

BTW, does anyone have any idea what they charge to install the mid toggles on the front of the bass? Thanks!

9. I like the sounds and most of the looks of those. I'd rather one with no pickguard and fewer knobs, though. I get the need for a one-stop bass for musicians who are on the go and can't carry a P, a Jazz and a host of other axes, but I like a more bare-bones preamp.

Jauqo, how's the neck on those?

10. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    I remember really enjoying these at the last NAMM show... I can't wait to try to 24 fret version this coming show.

Am I missing something? Their website seems to be really outdated, not much info, just pics of previous basses.

11. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    And that bass goes to the front of my short list for next bass. Awesome!

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    The 5 string necks are not bad at all to me and I have small hands.

The 4 string necks are comfortable as well but I did have the neck on my four string trimmed down a little.

13. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    The new P-Bass coming out at NAMM looks killer!

14. Good to know., I also have small hands. Ridiculously so, in fact :(

I'm waiting on a Sadowsky at the moment, but one of these might be a nice target for my next save-up plan. I'll have to actually touch one someday first, though.

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

;)

16. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    Despite knowing of and using Xotic pedals for a while now, I just realized they made basses a week or two ago. The XJ basses caught my eye big time, and these videos are only making me want one more!

17. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Thanks for the sweet vids! These new Xotics are so sweet... really some of the sweetest J-basses out there and people are just starting to discover how awesome they are....

There are a lot of boutique Jays out there.... and if you're looking for something a little more "modern" or zingy than a Lakland but still want absolutely top TOP-notch quality you should check these out before heading straight to Brooklyn.... ;)

18. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.