Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

XS400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassbmx, Sep 11, 2005.

1. I've ordered the xs400 1x15 combo. Thanks to everyone that helped out with making the decision.

Ive got a couple of questions about it. Could a Yorkville 210 sit on top of the 115 combo? I would prefer to have the tens higher.

Also, I've heard that the compression on the amp isn't all that good. Any recommendations for a compression pedal? Would any particular one work best with this amp?

Also, which pre-amp tube should I replace the stock one with when it's ready to go? How much would it change the sound?

2. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I think that the Yorkie 2x10 will sit on there no problem. That's actually the route I'm gonna go with as well once I unload my Fender 4x10.
    Any "built in" compression leaves much to be desired. I tried the Aphex Punch Factory & was not impressed, though there are tons out there who swear by them. My next compressor is going to be the Demeter compulator.
    I'm curious about switching the stock Sovtek 12ax7 out as well.

Maybe Rev Groove can help us out on that one...

3. Yeah I was going to get the 210 but the guy I was buying it from didn't have any in stock. He had a 115 and can get a 210 cab so I thought that would be the best way to go. I really don't know very much at all about compressors.

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I played with that set up at a gig once where I had to leave for a wedding right after and couldn't bring my own rig...worked well enough...but it's a shame he couldn't order you the XS400T, it is the much better sounding of the two cabinets IMO, I really like using mine when i can't bring one of my big rigs...nice full sound, good tones, excellent volume wise!

The XS400 is still a great amp though, I think you'll be happy with the gear you're getting...let us know what you think when you finally get to try it out!

5. Oh damn. I was thinking of waiting to get the XS400t but it would have been weeks and I'm far too impatient. Would the 115 combo with the 210 on top sound any different to the 210 combo with a 115 underneath? I thought that seeing as I plan to get an extension cab either way that it wouldn't make a huge difference in the end (2 tens and a 15 either way).

6. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Well, it would make a difference, because the XS400T and the XC210 are tuned/ported differently. The XS400T has more aparent low end...the XC210 I must be honest and say that I'm definitely not a fan of. Likewise, the XC115 is tuned differently from the XS400, so you'd get a much better sound with the XS400TC and XC115 (not the X version without the horn, the version with the horn is tuned best, IMHO.)

If you can hold your patience, cancel the order and get an XS400TC (carpeted version, should be a little less expensive.) You won't regret it, for real!

7. It's already on the way. Oh well, it didn't cost too much and I can always swap things around in the future. How hard would it be to turn the combo into a head? That head and a good 4ohm 410 would be good, I think.

8. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    The old BM400, no problem...not so with the XS400, the head pulled out would have no casing, everything would be exposed...

9. That's alright. I can get the 400 head for very cheap anyway.

So how different will the 15 combo and 210 cab be compared to the other way around?
    I know you work with amps are are probably very picky about your gear but will it make a significant difference in tone?

10. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Yeh, there's a huge difference, you'll get more bottom end with the XS400T rig, but the XS400 will give you some more growl and mids...so depending on what you're looking for, you just may luck out...
    :D

11. Would I get the same bottom end or similar by adding a 210 on top?

To tell the truth, I think I'd be happy with either. They're both miles better than what I've been using and it hasn't cost me too much.

12. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Same issue man...the tuning between an XC210 and the XS400T is very, very different...as is the tuning between an XC115 and and XS400. IMHO, the better combination would be the XS400T and XC115...but I have a co-worker who prefers the single 15 combo...so it really, truly is a subjective matter, depends on what you're looking for...

13. Sorry to ask so many questions but I might be able to sell the Xs400 straight to a friend when it gets here. I'm thinking I might get the XS head and a cab. The schroeder single 12 cabs look really good. 500 watts, 4ohms.

Would that be a good combination and where's the best place to get the cabs from?

14. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Haven't tried Schroeder yet, but they have a great rep, haven't heard a bad thing about them yet!

You may want to try also the Traynor YBX1510 cab, it goes rally well with the XS400H, 4 ohms, it can actually handle 600W (it's rated 400w for some reason, but it'll take more.)

Try the combo first, don't let my personal tastes discourage you, you may find it's exactly what you need!