Ya seen this player?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Fluke, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Fluke

Jul 20, 2002
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    nice. And see, he only needed FOUR strings
  3. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    bet he's a good typist!
  4. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Well yeah, cool...but nice for showing off. I don't really see the point of using such fast slapping quite a long time in songs or even that first movie: 'look how fast I am'.

Slapping is almost only suitable for the 'wow-effect' and not really more. Sometimes a slapped note can give real rumble in the music, but constantly... the time of Mark King is over. And Stanley Clarke too! (I say him at the North Sea Jazz festival this year, how horrible it sounded!)

Those skills don't say anything about being a musician. (Well...alright, being on the North Sea Jazz does ;))
  5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Yawn :rollno:

Though it makes me sad to know that he uses a nice Warwick to make crappy Nintendo noises.
  6. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Why do some bass players poo poo players like this? Bass envy of some sort would be my guess.

The first guy is very impressive. How many guys can slap even half as well and be super clean like that players technique is. Everynote is articulated extremely well. Can he groove? Well, nobody knows at this point.

Vail Johnson clip is great. He entertains the folks that paid to be there. Isn't that whats its all about in the end. Entertainment!!

I loved the slapped acoustic guitar. I find this stuff challenging and inspirational. There is much more to learn. For now I will keep working on playing my electric and upright over II V I and other progressions.
  7. well what gets me about the first guy...fair enough he can play like that, i know i cant and im many years off it but it seems kinda monotomus to me, plus hes really only demonsrating he ability to play solo.....while you see the vail video and he's showing his soloing techniques with interaction with other musicians......plus vail's is just more interesting, i get no interest from watching a guy sit there and show off, kinda bragging in a way...he seems more up himself than a guy who can show off while grooving and interacting with other musicians, even someone using a sampler like jaco did was more interesting than him......but you dont know haw many takes it took him to get that right while the vail video is live
  8. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON

I know you want my 88 Kubicki. Then playing like Vail will be a piece of cake . . . :) :)
  9. how did you know i gas for that red prefender beauty :D...i wonder if it would make playing vail easier...my bahama green stu hamm kubicki seems to help me play satch and vai easier :D :p .....but seriously..i will be shopping around for another kubicki hopefully by the end of the year so i can put mine in a case and use it just as a backup cos hopefully it'll be worth a lot of money someday :D but i still just want another kubicki cough*prefender would be nice*cough :p :smug:

oh and steve..last time you posted the pic of your gear i saved the pic...yes...im stalking pre-reddy there..lol
  10. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I hate to think what shipping to your side of the world would cost.
  11. probably around the $500us mark...but it would most likely be worth it :D
  12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Very fast. good slapper.
    He got chops, but can he play bass?
    Would make a great piano player.
    After two min. put me to sleep.
  13. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

plus the $2000 US for the bass . . . :D
  14. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    No. WMV format isn't ANYTHING friendly. Worst video format ever created. EVER.

And I use Winblows.
  15. $2000us?..geez man you drive a hard bargin..i only paid $2000aus for mine and it was stuart hamms :p
  16. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Eh, I really wish he (the first guy) would just play a nice groove or something. I can appreciate that style of play but only when its done nicely. I like what Victor Wooten did on his solo album, that crap was groovy. This is just kinda annoying.