Yahama combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jgsbass, Apr 14, 2005.

1. jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Anyone seen ( or hopefully tried) the new Yamaha combo version of their 500 watt digital head? I'm gassin' for one.
  2. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    The same amp as is used in the combo but I bought two Euphonic Audio wizzy 112 cab's to go with it. The Combo wasn't out at the time but I liked the 5 presets, light weight, and 500 watts at 10lbs.. The 2 wizzy's at 4 ohms each allow me to get all 500 watts. Yamaha doesn't give many specs on their bbt cab's so I went with the reviews on TB and the EA web site specs to make my decision.

It's got a great DI. and a level to control it with which is nice in that I can turn down the main output to the speaker and hear myself through the PA. then adjust the output to my stage speakers to hear myself better when the rest of the band is playing without affecting the line out volume. There is a function button on the top right that gives 3 different uses for all the knobs. It's got a full feature noise gate and compressor as well as Eq. and sweepable midrange frequency and a simulated tube or solid state distortion. It's got many more sounds than any single bass amp I've tried and there's the presets for 1 button changing which can also be done with a midi pedal with no programming.

My only concern is that if I'm using a preset and I stop playing and turn the amp off for whatever reason, then come back later and turn it on, it defaults to a manual setting instead of the preset, so I have to remember which preset I was using if the last one I was using is the one I still want.
    There's a lot of amps to be had in this price range but I'm happy so far with this amp. My main criteria was light weight, power and a modern sound. This amp has those and more.
  3. Peik

Dec 2, 2004
    The amp sounds great and is really flexible. Plus the light weight makes it so easy to carrie.
    Saw Jimmy Haslip a couple of week ago, and he was using the Yamaha Head and cab. And of course he sounded great, and he was really happy with it too. ......Good enough for Jimmy Haslip...good enough for me!! :)