Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha RBX JM2 - opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zoli, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Zoli

Zoli

Jul 17, 2004
    Hy,

As I would like to buy one and as I didn't find some important informations about Yamaha RBX JM2 at yamaha.com, I would like to ask those help who own one of this instrument.

I would like to know:

1. Neck width at 1st fret and at 24th fret?
    2. Neck thickness at 1st fret and at 18th fret?
    3. Humbucker [Yamaha, Bartolini or...? Which one?]
    4. Weight?
    5. Controls [these are made from plastic or from metal?]

Also, please share your impressions about this beautiful 6-stringer bass.

Thanks for your help,
    Zoli

2. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    Hi Zoli, I got one Yamaha RBX JM1 before and I have checked out the JM2 at music store already. Sorry about that I can't provide the exactly answer for Q1&2. From my experience with this two basses, JM2 have a even more narrow neck spacing than JM1, I think it is about 2-3mm smaller, so it is not that noticeable. two basses's neck thickness are almost the same, but JM2 is more easy to play. For the pickup, I think it is a Yamaha custom build humbucker, not a Bassline pickup. JM1 is more heavier than JM2. If my memory serve me correct, the controls are made from plastic.

After played the JM2, I think Yamaha have really improved the John Myung Signature bass. Both in quality and the sound. The fretboard got a beautiful Ying Yang inlay, even many people out there are still missing the infinity inaly, but both inlays are work for me. The preamp section is really powerful and you can get any sounds from it. Myung fans won't feel disappoint with this. The only complaint is the Bass/Treble Knob, it is a stack design, the upper stack is bass, and other is treble, I got confuse for few minutes when I played this bass because for most of the basses I have played, treble should be place at upper stack :spit: Anyway, it is a good bass!

Hope this info help! :)

3. Zoli

Zoli

Jul 17, 2004
    Timothy,

Thanks for your opinion, it's really helpful for me!

I'm a little afraid of the narrow neck spacing becouse I think that in this case it's more difficult to play with slap technique.
    What is your opinion about this? When you tried the bass, you tried to play slap also? It was confortable or you felt that you would need biggest spaces between the strings?

Have a great weekend!
    Zoli

4. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    the john myung basses are not good. they dun feel good. i bet john myung even is unhappy about yamaha porducing such a bass under his name. for a good sixer, get the trb series. i bet if you ever brought this bass to john myung, he would slap you instead of slapping the bass.

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    The official Yamaha press release lists the humbucker as "a custom Seymour Duncan SMB-6a pickup and a high-octane active preamp that features an ultra-versatile three-band EQ." Recent photos have shown him adding one of his old humbuckers behind the MM 'bucker, so he can't be happy with the sound he's currently getting.

As for my observation as a non-player of one, read on. Someone at Yamaha needs to be slapped with a trout.

6. Zoli

Zoli

Jul 17, 2004
    I can hardly believe and, actionally, I can't believe that the "John Myung basses are not good" as you say.

Please give me arguments for your opinion.

On the other hand:

What options do I have if my budget is aprox. 1,200 USD, and I would like to buy a 6-stringer?

Could you give me some suggestions?

Thanks,
    Zoli

7. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    i would recommend ymaha trb6II, ibanez btb406QM. They have good electronics and string spacing.

8. TimothyGroovy

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    I don't know can I give a fair comment on this one, because I got a pair of small hand, I have tried to play every playing style on JM2 such as finger picking, slappin' (double thumpin' ..etc) and tappin'. I have no problem with it. Also, JM2 got a good slap tone than JM1 I think. so I'm not able to answer you the last question, but I think you can get used to play every basses when you play it for a while or a period of time.

9. TimothyGroovy

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    I don't really agree on this one as well. For all the signature basses series, all artists will involved to the design and even production process. I believe John Myung will not agree to release and play the bass if he even don't feel good with it. As I read from an interview, the reason that John Myung don't go into TRB is that the wide spacing and its weight. For the JM2, it is more lighter in weight compare with JM1. Let John can play in a regular 3 hours DT concert with no problem. it is one of the improvment and his request. If you guys have noticed the headstock of JM2, you will find that there is no "autograph" even it is a signature bass, because John said that he want this one become everyone's "signature bass", so he require Yamaha not to give his autograph on this bass. Hope this info help. :)

10. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL

You actually have quite a few options, and in fact many of them are probably better than the JM. I used to own the original JM, and while it was a good idea, the craftsmanship simply wasnt there.

As far as other 6 stringers in the 1000-1200 area:

Carvin: their stuff is made to order (i wont say custom, but definitely customizable), and id say their basses have typically a max price of around 1300, unless your looking for something crazy.

Peavey Cirrus: definitely check these out if you can, i know theyre a favorite around here, myself included, do a search if you wanna know more.

Ibanez BTB series: The one i have played didnt impress me, but that was quite probably because it was a friend of mines who isnt notorious for keeping his basses well set up, so the action was very high (for my tastes). Sound wise, definitely cant complain.

Yamaha TRB: Looks good, but i havent played one as im not a very big fan of wider string spacing (which, while i havent read the specs, looks very wide to me).

theres a few other manufacturers who make 6ers in that range, but theyre nothing that stands out (to me at least). I know dean makes one, ibanez makes a lower end soundgear model as well as one of their other lines.

There is also a few custom luthiers that i believe make basses in that range, though I'm DEFINITELY not sure about this, as I haven't fully done my research. Two quick names that quickly come to mind are JP and Valenti, both are members on talkbass, they might or might not speak up. Also, i could be mistaken, didnt i hear something about a lower end ken smith line of basses? maybe i was dreaming... : P

But yep, theres quite a few other names out there in that range. On my personal list: Peavey Cirrus is next for me, without a doubt, but everyones tastes are different, so go do some research, and try and play as many as you can. Youll know the right one when you play it.

Hope it helps! : )

-Chap

11. Zoli

Zoli

Jul 17, 2004
    Guys,

Thanks a lot for sharing your opinions, these really helps me!

Actionally, if I would have the chance to try more basses and than to buy, I would have no problem. Where I live [in my country] I can't find a music store that has 6-stringers, my only option is to make an order.

So, this is why I need your help...

What's your oppinion about Yamaha TRB 1006? It's a new model and it looks great. My only regret is that doesn't have a generous cutaway and, probably, it's heavy...

Thanks,
    Zoli

12. Netherelm

Netherelm

Nov 29, 2004
    hey, ive been looking everywhre for this bass and the only place i have found it to be available on is on a site in the UK and they only sell the model in plum purple, if anyone has any idea please reply thanks a lot.

13. Possu jam

Possu jam

May 16, 2004
    Finland
    I think that JM2 is not that bad bass.

Its just a matter of opinions etc...

14. stubbs

stubbs

Jun 30, 2004
    Zoli, about the 1006...
    In my opinion this is a superb 6 string. I've played them many times (only reason i don't own one is cause of postal regs/out of stock locally where I live) but I plan on either buying this or a 6II in the future.

The whole bass is much smaller that the 6II/6PII. String spacing is about 18mm at the bridge. Quilted maple (beautiful) over alder body, mahogony neck, rosewood fretboard. Definately tighter string spacing that the 6II/6PII and def. the crazy wide JP2. I found it very comfortable in fact; fingerstyle and slap, though I don't have the biggest of hands. This is not a heavy bass by any means.

The bass has Yamaha/Alnico active humbuckers w/3 band EQ, I found it very versatile. Very bright to very dark and "wooden" with a few adjustments. The bridge is a solid hunk of brass...this bass is solid for sure.

I'm still debating to either get this or the 6II. The 6II was quite wide with a VERY thin neck, it would take some getting used to. Good luck!

15. P-nut

P-nut

Dec 27, 2004
    Hi folks!

The JM2 is not bad, I bought it yesterday and I tried MANY 6ers and I felt this one was the most comfortable for fingerstyle.
    Some of you said, the distance between the stings are too short. I think its quiet comfortable. I played the John Patitucci, the freatboard is horribly wide. F*** Pat, Love John.

16. Errr, John Patitucci and John Myung are both Johns.

17. Possu jam

Possu jam

May 16, 2004
    Finland

hah lol!

18. Matrixone976

Matrixone976

Nov 26, 2010
    I have the RBXJM2 bass for sale complete with hard case for 1000 US dollars. its unplayed and in showroom condition the strings are even still new. i wanna get rid of it and get something else. if anyone is interested write me via PM or reply and we'll work something out. Buyer responcible for shipping to your location ( we can negociate that).

thanks