Yamaha SB50 from 1972

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AaronVonRock, Oct 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    This bass just popped up on a local Facebook page that sells gear. I've never heard of or seen one of these basses before. Comes with original case, selling for around $US650.

Anyone know anything about these? I'm kind of interested in it.
    bass1.jpg bass2.jpg bass3.jpg bass4.jpg bass6.jpg bass5.jpg

2. ric4682

ric4682

Jul 2, 2008
    I don't have any info for you, but I'll bump this since that bass is so rad!

R Briere likes this.
  3. Hidesert

Hidesert

Oct 7, 2011
    Santa Fe
    I have 2 Yamahas from this era, both SA70's with a short scale.
    Extremely well engineered, good hardware, and a high standard of construction. Both are extremely playable.
    The weak area would be the electronics.
    There is a very narrow market demand for these SA50's in the U.S. I see them on eBay occaisioally and they never seem to draw an enormous amount of attention or $$$
    That said, I think that this one looks all original, in excellent condition, and would make a great roots rock short scale thumper.
    If it was,in my area I'd buy it for $300 in person to make sure it was structurally sound and could be made playable.
    HTH

R Briere likes this.
  4. lukatch

lukatch

Feb 18, 2015
    40 years ago I was jonesing for the red Yamaha SB30 (single pickup version) at a local music store. Wish I could find one in pristine condition to compensate... The German carve is awesome.

SB30.JPG

taught likes this.
  5. ToP fan

ToP fan Gold Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Waterloo, Ontario
    Sorry that I'm late to this thread.
    I LOVE these basses - I have 2 SB-50's already and am always on the hunt for more. I have the burst model that is mint and the solid brown with cream binding that's a little beat up but is my go-to short scale. The black one you pictured about is a beauty esp with original case - I hope you bought it at that price since it's very reasonable.

If you did get it - enjoy..........or sell it to me anytime!!

Dave
    IMG_2655.JPG

R Briere likes this.
  6. avi

avi

Jun 14, 2017
    Just ordered the single pickup SB-30 for my daughter who is 11. Should be in tomorrow. She is super psyched. She loves the quirky look. Anyone know where a good place to find the bridge/pickup covers and knobs.

7. Kevin Boor

Kevin Boor

Nov 1, 2017
    I have the same bass but it's missing the pickup cover and bridge cover (and that strangely pointless black plastic thing on the top right of the body). Seems they were only made in 1972 and are pretty rare (according to the one and only site I've seen listing one of these...FoundSound in Australia). That site has a pristine version listed for AUD 1199 (or around US$ 920). I know I'm late to the party but would love to know more about my bass. I bought it for about $120 in 1987 and wasn't even sure it was a real Yamaha until today. Imagine my surprise when a Japanese Vintage Guitar forum on Facebook points me in the direction of 70s Yamaha SGs (and SBs). Found Sound || YAMAHA - SB-50 Bass Yamaha SB50 Bass.jpg

8. Kevin Boor

Kevin Boor

Nov 1, 2017
    I have the same question about parts...can't find any anywhere

9. avi

avi

Jun 14, 2017
    Update - Yes. Looking for parts as well. Ours is missing the Covers and thumb rest. Sounds great though. What a fun bass. My daughter is loving it.

10. avi

avi

Jun 14, 2017
    Oh yeah. Need one knob too. What a great little bass though. After having it for a year now we can really appreciate how fantastic it sounds.

11. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
  12. Looks very similar to Gretsch Junior Jet.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021